Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2006/04/18 05:30:05 UTC

[doc] ways to bring code into the ASF

This post is motivated by Noel's comment about Lucene.Net from
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200604.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPAEOEHJAC.noel@devtech.com%3e

> For my information, I notice that the STATUS file says that this is from the
> DotLucene project on SourceForge.  How are things going with IP clearance?
> And will this web site: http://www.dotlucene.net/ be coming over as the
> project's web site soon?

This caught my attention because Lucene.Net's external code base started
off as ASL. I'm one of the Cayenne mentors, and Cayenne's code base is
also under the ASL. I'm frankly not certain what all is involved in the
ip clearance process for code that is already under the ASL.

It seems there are several ways, at least, to bring in code:

1) If an external code base is already under the ASL, the podling can
simply go ahead and import the code.

Does the remaining ip loop to close involve filling out the ip clearance
template at http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html ? This
is counter intuitive to me because that page says "This form is not for
new projects."

2) If a code base is owned by a corporate entity, it can be donated via
http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt .

3) Smaller external contributions can be made via the ip clearance
template at http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html .

Is this correct?

I'm finding this part of the process puzzling, and I'm not finding what
I'm looking for in the incubator site docs. But if people will explain
it or point to specific podlings that sparked discussions so I can find
them in the archives, I'll assemble more info for the incubator docs.

thanks,

 -jean

Re: [doc] ways to bring code into the ASF

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm finding this part of the process puzzling,
>
> The general rule of thumb is that we'd like to have CLAs on-file for
> all code imports.  This way we can relicense the contributions under a
> new license.

I was still confused, but remembered vaguely you had written something
recently clarifying code grants. And I found it in February wrt OFBiz:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200602.mbox/%3c5c902b9e0602080944u178d4a8h8011ecf2738da38c@mail.gmail.com%3e

in that post you wrote:
> The software grant is our preferred mechanism for code bases that can
> be collectively licensed as a whole and submitted that way -
> especially so for code that 'skips' Incubation (like the FOP example).
>  For those projects coming to the Incubator that have a single
> copyright holder (like BEA, IBM, etc.), the software grant is the
> cleanest approach as well.
>
> But, for OFBiz (like SA), no entity has the authority to relicense the
> work and submit it to the ASF in the form of a software grant.
> Therefore, we need CLAs from everyone who contributed at a minimum.
> We could conceivably ask for a grant, but if we decided to execute a
> software grant form for every OFBiz contributor, it would be a
> bureaucratic nightmare as well.  -- justin

I think this is what needs to be captured into the incubator docs.
The process for bringing in code from a single entity has been worked
out pretty well; bringing in code that's already open source not from a
single entity has been more confusing.

> But, if the code is already ALv2-licensed and we can't get CLAs, it
> won't be the end of the world; but we'd need to note that somehow so
> that the next time we rev our license, we don't rev that portion as we
> don't have the bits to license that under another license.

how about ALv1.1? That's what the external cayenne codebase is under
according to the proposal at
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CayenneProposal .

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 4/17/06, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
> I'm finding this part of the process puzzling, and I'm not finding what
> I'm looking for in the incubator site docs. But if people will explain
> it or point to specific podlings that sparked discussions so I can find
> them in the archives, I'll assemble more info for the incubator docs.

The general rule of thumb is that we'd like to have CLAs on-file for
all code imports.  This way we can relicense the contributions under a
new license.

But, if the code is already ALv2-licensed and we can't get CLAs, it
won't be the end of the world; but we'd need to note that somehow so
that the next time we rev our license, we don't rev that portion as we
don't have the bits to license that under another license.

Hope this helps.  -- justin

RE: [doc] ways to bring code into the ASF

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Does the remaining ip loop to close involve filling out the ip clearance
> template at http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html ? This
> is counter intuitive to me because that page says "This form is not for
> new projects."

Because it should be a SUBSET of the full incubation documentation for a
project.  If not, it should be.

> 2) If a code base is owned by a corporate entity, it can be donated via
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt .

Any entity, not just a corporate one.  And the IP clearance or STATUS file
for the project would record the fact that the grant was received and logged
by the ASF.

Or that was the intent.  :-)

	--- Noel