Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2014/10/19 12:04:31 UTC

Remove R11.04 from Fix/versions in Jira

Hi,

We decided to label as "Old superseded releases" the antepenultimate release (today R11.04). This means also that we tend to no longer support this
release and those before.

So I think we should remove it from the Fix/versions in Jira multi-dropdown in Jira. What about the Download page?

Also it was maybe intended to be done later, but I began to fill the Fix/versions for some Jira fixed by the last bug crush HWM team effort. Please
committers, if it's an oversight, remember we use them in releases change logs.

Jacques

Re: Remove R11.04 from Fix/versions in Jira

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Done, I have dropped the R13.07.01 version. I was agreably suprised by Jira proposing me to switch the related Jira issues to the Branch R11.04.
So I kept the Branch 11.04 accessible for change logs, but archived all releases R11.04 versions,

I now wonder though, if it's the right way, to archive all releases R11.04 versions, because some people might be interested.
Though if we go this way we will end with a lot of still opened old releases versions.

Opinions?

Jacques

.

Re: Remove R11.04 from Fix/versions in Jira

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 23/10/2014 10:48 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Le 23/10/2014 14:47, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>> There should be a note on the home page
>
> and download page
>

>> It would be a good time to think about the OndOfSupport and EndOfLife
>> for 12.xx. and 13.xx.
>> What does EOS mean (or more important - what does Support mean prior
>> to EOS
>> What does EOL mean and what happens between EOS and EOL.
>
> I'm not a fervent supporter of planned dates, I find they are often
> postponed. Thought a deadline during a year seems reasonable, it gives
> you enoufh flexiblity (and an open source project needs it, we have no
> clients, just users)

It is always just a guideline but it does give users a sense of what the
environment will be.
The project is old enough to have some sense of its own history and
should be able to set some goals for support.

Adding clarity also makes it easier for contributors to get involved.
If there is no leadership in these areas, it is hard for people to see
what is required.
If the PMC says that 12.04. will reach EOS on January 1, 2015 and EOL on
March 31, 2015, the companies that want to stay on this release know
that they have to step up to the plate with a plan and resources to
extend this.
If the PMC is vague about this, no one knows that they have to take action.

If the companies do not want to step up then they know that they have
2-5 months to get on 13.07.01 and will have to step up to the plate with
resources and a plan to address the features that were dropped between
12 and 13 if they need them.

The current method of working means that anyone wanting to use OFBiz has
to fork it the way that the core PMC members do.
This makes it hard to grow the project and probably reduces the profits
for all the companies using OFBiz as a base of their business.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Remove R11.04 from Fix/versions in Jira

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 23/10/2014 16:48, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :

> Le 23/10/2014 14:47, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>> There should be a note on the home page

BTW, thinking about it, why not only on the download page? We don't need to clutter all pages with that.

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.