Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/05/29 19:57:31 UTC

[Jakarta-tapestry Wiki] Update of "FriendlyUrls" by JamieOrchardHays

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-tapestry Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by JamieOrchardHays:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tapestry/FriendlyUrls

  </web-app>
  }}}

- = Tapestry 3.1 =
+ = Tapestry 4.0 =

- HowardLewisShip: I've implemented something similar to this for Tapestry 3.1, that results in prettier URLs similar to what Paul's accomplished with his patch to Tapestry  3.0.  However, Paul has some good ideas beyond what I've accomplished so far, such as mapping /app?service=foo to /foo.do ... and these, too, will appear in 3.1. There's a couple of new levels of abstraction between the service (which has information needed to be encoded into the URL) and the actual link (the combination of URL and query parameters), with new objects, !ServiceEncoders, responsible for converting query parameter information into path information, and vice versa.  In other words, slick, extensible and adaptable.  For example, the page and direct services can be utilized with two modifications:
+ HowardLewisShip: I've implemented something similar to this for Tapestry 4.0, that results in prettier URLs similar to what Paul's accomplished with his patch to Tapestry  3.0.  However, Paul has some good ideas beyond what I've accomplished so far, such as mapping /app?service=foo to /foo.do ... and these, too, will appear in 4.0. There's a couple of new levels of abstraction between the service (which has information needed to be encoded into the URL) and the actual link (the combination of URL and query parameters), with new objects, !ServiceEncoders, responsible for converting query parameter information into path information, and vice versa.  In other words, slick, extensible and adaptable.  For example, the page and direct services can be utilized with two modifications:

  web.xml: