Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Du Jun <dj...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/24 13:13:37 UTC

cloudstack network limitation

Hi all,
I find the network banwidth between VMs in my cloudstack server are
extremely slow while bandwidth in my environment is 1000Mbps. I want
to update some configuration to up the network speed between VMs. I
have update global settings such as network.throttling.rate and
vm.network.throttling.rate. However, it does not work! Could you
please tell me how to update network configurations about bandwidth?

ps: I use cloudstack 4.2, KVM hypervisor, advanced zone and isolated network

--
Thanks and Best Regards,
DuJun

Re: cloudstack network limitation

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
Comments inline.

On 26-Dec-2013, at 2:32 am, Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, the rate limiting functionality is complicated.  It can be affected
> by the type of network (shared or isolated), the direction of the
> traffic, the hypervisor running the instance or virtual router, the
> Network Offering for the network, the Compute Offering for the instance,
> the System Offering for the virtual router, and the
> (vm.)network.throttling.rate parameters in Global Settings.
>
> So there are many places to check.  It is explained in the docs:
>
> http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.0/html/Admin_Guide/network-rate.html
>
> I wrote much of this section, but I think it might be out of date.  I
> didn't know support for rate limiting with KVM had been added.  I think
> the example at the end might be wrong for KVM, but the rest should be valid.

Hi Kirk,

- The primary interface did end up with the network speed as per the service
  offering. In my case, the service offering has a 2Gbps interface.

- The secondary interface ended up with the network offering default, which
  is a 1Gbps service.

    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='06:8b:22:00:00:57'/>
      <source bridge='breth0-65'/>
      <target dev='vnet2'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <bandwidth>
        <inbound average='256000' peak='256000'/>
        <outbound average='256000' peak='256000'/>
      </bandwidth>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='02:00:60:ea:00:04'/>
      <source bridge='breth0-107'/>
      <target dev='vnet3'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <bandwidth>
        <inbound average='128000' peak='128000'/>
        <outbound average='128000' peak='128000'/>
      </bandwidth>
      <alias name='net1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

Looks to me that your docs (thanks for contributing them) is applicable for KVM too.

Regards.

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

Our CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> offers the best 24/7 SLA for CloudStack Environments.

**NEW!** CloudStack 4.2 training<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
08/09 January 2014, London<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
13-17 January 2014, GLOBAL. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
20-24 January 2014, GLOBAL. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: cloudstack network limitation

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Du Jun <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marty,
Stop and then start VM instead reboot VM can update the value of "inbound |
outbound",
root@cloudstack-ubuntu:~# virsh dumpxml i-2-3-VM | egrep "inbound|outbound"
        <inbound average='2560000' peak='2560000'/>
        <outbound average='2560000' peak='2560000'/>

However, the real transportation speed is still the same, it's only about
600KB/s, which is far less than 2560000bps.

Do you have any idea?

--
Thanks and With Best Regards,

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi DuJun,

Posted by Du Jun <dj...@gmail.com>.
@Nux @Marty

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Du Jun <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marty,

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Du Jun,

Posted by Du Jun <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić
--------------------------------------

Re: cloudstack network limitation

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Du Jun <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marty,
Thanks! I am the root of my Cloudstack cluster. BTW, could you please
tell me the "key words" of your previous question? Maybe I can search
it using Google.

--
Best regards,
DuJun