Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/09/28 15:54:32 UTC

Another source of translation needs: website visits

Another way of looking at language demands is to look at visitors to
our website and what language preference they set in their browsers.
This information is sent to our servers and Google Analytics gives us
a summary of what locales our website visitors are using.

The top 50 locales, with the number of visits for each, is shown here.

The top language that we don't have a translation for is Polish.  In
Pootle Polish is 95% complete.  I'll add a call for volunteers to the
Polish homepage as well.

But one question:  does anyone have an estimate for how much time is
required, if a translation is 95%, 97% or 98% done?  Any rough
estimates that we can give?  Words/hour?  Something that we can use to
help volunteers know how large (or small) this effort is?

-Rob

1.	en-us	2,540,352
2.	fr	679,947
3.	de-de	481,245
4.	ja	373,750
5.	it	351,146
6.	de	347,481
7.	es	295,393
8.	(not set)	230,246
9.	it-it	194,010
10.	ru	192,914
11.	pl	167,429
12.	en-gb	158,970
13.	es-es	145,420
14.	nl	122,918
15.	zh-tw	94,305
16.	pt-br	80,155
17.	ru-ru	72,995
18.	fr-fr	71,575
19.	en	69,872
20.	ja-jp	50,563
21.	sv	48,383
22.	da	38,025
23.	zh-cn	32,047
24.	fi	30,182
25.	sv-se	29,514
26.	cs	29,218
27.	fi-fi	26,394
28.	nb-no	25,591
29.	tr	24,666
30.	nb	23,344
31.	es-419	21,886
32.	hu	21,761
33.	el	16,329
34.	hu-hu	16,246
35.	no	15,835
36.	nl-nl	15,771
37.	ko	15,702
38.	pt-pt	12,482
39.	es-mx	11,915
40.	sk	11,539
41.	el-gr	10,104
42.	da-dk	9,595
43.	es-ar	8,377
44.	ca	8,135
45.	pt	7,984
46.	zh-hk	7,788
47.	ro	7,597
48.	tr-tr	7,479
49.	sl	6,954
50.	id	6,658

Re: Another source of translation needs: website visits

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Rob,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 09:54:32AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> Another way of looking at language demands is to look at visitors to
> our website and what language preference they set in their browsers.
> This information is sent to our servers and Google Analytics gives us
> a summary of what locales our website visitors are using.
>
> The top 50 locales, with the number of visits for each, is shown here.
>
> The top language that we don't have a translation for is Polish.  In
> Pootle Polish is 95% complete.  I'll add a call for volunteers to the
> Polish homepage as well.

It seems this worked, we got the first volunteer :)

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Another source of translation needs: website visits

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> But one question:  does anyone have an estimate for how much time is
> required, if a translation is 95%, 97% or 98% done?  Any rough
> estimates that we can give?  Words/hour?  Something that we can use to
> help volunteers know how large (or small) this effort is?

During the week I translate a few lines when I have time. Other
volunteers go quite busy in translation.

> 16.     pt-br   80,155

We in pt-br have (97%) translated [26295/27185 strings] [1]

1 - https://translate.apache.org/pt_BR/OOo/

Albino

Re: Another source of translation needs: website visits

Posted by Michael Bauer <fi...@akerbeltz.org>.
28/09/2012 14:54, sgrìobh Rob Weir:
> Another way of looking at language demands is to look at visitors to
> our website and what language preference they set in their browsers.
> This information is sent to our servers and Google Analytics gives us
> a summary of what locales our website visitors are using.
Caveat: OO supports (smaller) locales for which there are no localized
browsers and, for quite a few (smaller) locales, the choice of browser
language may not map directly to the choice of UI for OO. For example
there's Tibetan OO but I don't think there's many browsers which support
Tibetan at the moment.  As for the accept-language settings, most users
aren't even aware of those so I don't think they're reliable. But for
bigger languages, yes, it should work.
> But one question:  does anyone have an estimate for how much time is
> required, if a translation is 95%, 97% or 98% done?  Any rough
> estimates that we can give?  Words/hour?  Something that we can use to
> help volunteers know how large (or small) this effort is?
Hard one. On average, a professional translator should manage
2,000-5,000 words a day, depending on the content. Given the lack of
experience of many volunteers and, for many locales, the lack of
agreed/standardised terminology, and/or proofing tools I think we're
definitely looking at the lower end of the spectrum. I think
guesstimating it as "full days of translation" is the closes meaningful
measure we can offer.

Michael