Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com> on 2009/08/28 18:51:12 UTC

Moved to a new Subversion server....

I've moved to a new Subversion server and now my viewvc configuration no
longer works with Jira and the Subversion plug-in.
I'm making the assumption that since the Jira server did not change that
it must be on the Subversion and/or viewvc config side.
I have looked at my viewvc.conf file and it is configured the same as the
old server (except for path changes).  I am not sure how to troubleshoot
this.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
My viewvc.conf file is a bit long (with all of the comments) if there is
any particular part you need to see, please let me know and I will
cut/paste it here.  Thanks much.

PATI MOSS
System Engineer Sr. Professional

Re: Moved to a new Subversion server....

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.
>ScriptAlias take the matching 1st argument found in the URL and maps it
>to the 2nd argument in the filesystem as well as specifying that it is
>executable.  If it is commented out it obviously isn't going to work -
>and the filesystem location specified has to match the actual location
>of the file which doesn't seem to be the case.
>
>ScriptAlias directives also apply to intermediate directories, so your
>entry of:
>ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
>means that a url of:
>/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi
>would execute /var/www/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi, which is where I though you
>said you put the file.

That is where the viewvc.cgi file is sitting;
# ls -la /var/www/cgi-bin/
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 31 11:04 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Jul 20 10:58 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1672 Aug 31 11:04 query.cgi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1779 Jun 23 09:51 viewvc.cgi

PATI MOSS
System Engineer Sr. Professional
CSC

Re: Moved to a new Subversion server....

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: Moved to a new Subversion server....

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <gi...@uk.linedata.com>.
Did you upgrade Apache too? /var/www/html is the default DocumentRoot for Apache 2.0 while /use/local/apach2/htdocs is the default for Apache 2.2. If you have, there might be other differences in the configuriation that makes your ViewVC not to work.

________________________________

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Patricia A Moss wrote:

>  >The 2nd parameter to the ScriptAlias directive should be the actual
>  >location of the file.  Once you have fixed that, either the application
>  >should execute or you should get a different error message in the log
> file.
>
> I have attempted to set the Script Alias to various paths;
> ScriptAlias /viewvc "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
> ScriptAlias /viewvc /var/www/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi

This one should be right according to what you said before.

> and
> ScriptAlias /viewvc /usr/local/viewvc-1.0.7/bin/cgi/viewvc.cgi
>
> and I still get the same message in the error log:
> [Mon Aug 31 14:49:01 2009] [error] [client 20.8.230.132] File does not
> exist: /var/www/html/viewvc
>
> Why is it looking under /var/www/html?

Apache has not parsed your ScriptAlias and is still looking at the
DocumentRoot.

> Is the file, viewvc, that the error references the same as viewvc.cgi?

No, the error_log message should have the file name after translations.

>  If so why does it not include the .cgi suffix in the error message?

Either you haven't restarted Apache, there is some reason it isn't
seeing your ScriptAlias in the right context, or you have some other
conflicting entry.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Moved to a new Subversion server....

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 31, 2009, at 10:10, Patricia A Moss wrote:

> >According to the install documentation
> >http://viewvc.tigris.org/source/browse/*checkout*/viewvc/trunk/
> INSTALL
> >you also need the following directive:
> >
> >ScriptAlias /viewvc /var/www/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi
> >
> >You may want to read through the rest of the install document and see
> >if there's anything else you need to do.
>
> Not sure why I had that comments out of my httpd.conf.  I
> uncommented the line; restarted apache and am still receiving the
> same error.

Then you may want to ask in a ViewVC support venue for additional
assistance. I've never set up ViewVC so all I can point to is the
install documentation.

Re: Moved to a new Subversion server....

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.
Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
08/31/2009 10:18 AM

Patricia A Moss/GIS/CSC@CSC
cc
Campbell Allan <ca...@sword-ciboodle.com>,
users@subversion.tigris.org
Subject

http://lsjira.fcg.com:8080/browse/PD-11470?page=com
http://lsjira.fcg.com:8080/browse/PD-11519;jsession
http://lsjira.fcg.com:8080/browse/PD-11586?page=com

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.
On Monday 31 Aug 2009, Patricia A Moss wrote:
> >Explain "moved to a new server".
> >What exactly was changed? And did you reflected these changes in ViewVC
>
> and
>
> >Jira?
>
> New hardware was put in place, and the OS installed.  I then installed
and
> configured Subversion. Then I moved all of my Subversion repositories
from
> the old server over to the new server.  Once that was complete the alias
> was moved from the old server to the new server. Jira was configured
with
> the alias name, rather than the actual server hostname, so the config
> files did not need to be changed.  I believe that I made all of the
> necessary changes within ViewVC, but that is the portion that I am not
> sure about and the reason for my post.  Thanks.
>

>Did you install viewvc again or just copy it? The viewvc.cgi script has
paths
>to its config and libraries so that might be a source of problems. Do the

>webserver error logs contain any useful information?

I installed it fresh.  I did not copy it from the old server.

I see the following in the log file:
[Fri Aug 28 06:12:39 2009] [error] [client 20.44.119.65] File does not
exist: /v
ar/www/html/viewvc, referer:
http://lsjira.fcg.com:8080/browse/PD-11470?page=com
.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Aall-tabpanel
[Fri Aug 28 10:52:30 2009] [error] [client 20.8.232.209] File does not
exist: /v
ar/www/html/viewvc, referer:
http://lsjira.fcg.com:8080/browse/PD-11519;jsession
id=9280B862BE114CF57012C51405DEE128?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversio
n%3Asubversion-commits-tabpanel
[Fri Aug 28 10:52:37 2009] [error] [client 20.8.232.234] File does not
exist: /v
ar/www/html/viewvc, referer:
http://lsjira.fcg.com:8080/browse/PD-11586?page=com
.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion%3Asubversion-commits-tabpanel
[Mon Aug 31 06:29:32 2009] [error] [client 20.8.230.132] File does not
exist: /var/www/html/viewvc

Posted by Campbell Allan <ca...@sword-ciboodle.com>.
On Monday 31 Aug 2009, Patricia A Moss wrote:
> >Explain "moved to a new server".
> >What exactly was changed? And did you reflected these changes in ViewVC
>
> and
>
> >Jira?
>
> New hardware was put in place, and the OS installed.  I then installed and
> configured Subversion. Then I moved all of my Subversion repositories from
> the old server over to the new server.  Once that was complete the alias
> was moved from the old server to the new server. Jira was configured with
> the alias name, rather than the actual server hostname, so the config
> files did not need to be changed.  I believe that I made all of the
> necessary changes within ViewVC, but that is the portion that I am not
> sure about and the reason for my post.  Thanks.

Did you install viewvc again or just copy it? The viewvc.cgi script has paths
to its config and libraries so that might be a source of problems. Do the
webserver error logs contain any useful information?

Cheers,
Campbell

Sword Ciboodle is the trading name of ciboodle Limited (a company
registered in Scotland with registered number SC143434 and whose
registered office is at India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, UK,
PA4 9LH) which is part of the Sword Group of companies.

This email (and any attachments) is intended for the named
recipient(s) and is private and confidential. If it is not for you,
please inform us and then delete it. If you are not the intended
recipient(s), the use, disclosure, copying or distribution of any
information contained within this email is prohibited. Messages to
and from us may be monitored. If the content is not about the
business of the Sword Group then the message is neither from nor
sanctioned by us.

Internet communications are not secure. You should scan this
message and any attachments for viruses. Under no circumstances
do we accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from
your receipt of this email or any attachment.

Re: Moved to a new Subversion server....

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Patricia A Moss!

> I've moved to a new Subversion server and now my viewvc configuration no
> longer works with Jira and the Subversion plug-in.

Explain "moved to a new server".
What exactly was changed? And did you reflected these changes in ViewVC and
Jira?

> I'm making the assumption that since the Jira server did not change that
> it must be on the Subversion and/or viewvc config side.
> I have looked at my viewvc.conf file and it is configured the same as the
> old server (except for path changes).  I am not sure how to troubleshoot
> this.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
> My viewvc.conf file is a bit long (with all of the comments) if there is
> any particular part you need to see, please let me know and I will
> cut/paste it here.  Thanks much.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Moved to a new Subversion server....

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.
On Aug 28, 2009, at 13:51, Patricia A Moss wrote:

> I've moved to a new Subversion server and now my viewvc
> configuration no longer works with Jira and the Subversion plug-in.
> I'm making the assumption that since the Jira server did not change
> that it must be on the Subversion and/or viewvc config side.
> I have looked at my viewvc.conf file and it is configured the same
> as the old server (except for path changes).  I am not sure how to
> troubleshoot this.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
> My viewvc.conf file is a bit long (with all of the comments) if
> there is any particular part you need to see, please let me know
> and I will cut/paste it here.  Thanks much.

>Define "no longer works" :)

I don't see the SVN commits in Jira and if I try to access the url:
http://lssvn.fcg.com/viewvc I get the following error.

Oops! This link appears to be broken.

I can still access the old server's url successfully.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com>.
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Patricia A Moss <pm...@csc.com> wrote:

I've moved to a new Subversion server and now my viewvc configuration no
longer works with Jira and the Subversion plug-in.
I'm making the assumption that since the Jira server did not change that
it must be on the Subversion and/or viewvc config side.
I have looked at my viewvc.conf file and it is configured the same as the
old server (except for path changes).  I am not sure how to troubleshoot
this.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
My viewvc.conf file is a bit long (with all of the comments) if there is
any particular part you need to see, please let me know and I will
cut/paste it here.  Thanks much.

>What exactly is not working?
>If you moved to a new host (as opposed to upgrading the same host with a
new server), then I believe you need to change the settings at the >Jira
side. From what I can recall (don't have a set up to test), you have
properties that define "web linking". You need to update that with >new
server names.

There is an alias for this particular server.  That alias name was set up
in the Jira configuration files. When the new subversion server was set up
and the repositories moved, the alias was moved as well. So the Jira
configuration files would not need to be changed.
What is not working:

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.