Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2004/02/06 08:26:49 UTC

avalon repo is crowding

with merlin splitting up into consistently more pieces and growing in
size, the main 'avalon' cvs repository is filling up.

'cvs up' is starting to take long for /me/ (100mbit). Can't imagine what
it must be doing to poor souls on plain broadband, or worse, dialup.

[lsimons@giraffe avalon]$ find . -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 2 | grep
-v 'CVS'

./buildsystem
./buildsystem/documentation
./buildsystem/gump-integration
./buildsystem/xml-forrest
./fortress
./fortress/cli
./fortress/container
./fortress/docs
./fortress/examples
./fortress/new
./fortress/platform
./fortress/servlet
./fortress/tools
./framework
./framework/api
./framework/impl
./framework/site
./framework/target
./merlin
./merlin/activation
./merlin/facilities
./merlin/composition
./merlin/kernel
./merlin/platform
./meta
./meta/api
./meta/impl
./meta/plugin
./meta/site
./meta/spi
./meta/tools
./repository
./repository/api
./repository/impl
./repository/main
./repository/cli
./repository/site
./repository/spi
./repository/test
./repository/util
./src
./src/documentation
./src/proposal
./tools
./tools/bin
./tools/etc
./util
./util/criteria
./util/defaults
./util/env
./util/etc
./util/exception
./util/plugin
./util/xdocs
./util/extension
./logging
./logging/api
./logging/site
./logging/logkit

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: avalon repo is crowding

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 06 February 2004 16:48, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>>DATE=`date` ; cvs -q update -dP ; echo $DATE ; date
>>
>>Fri Feb 6 16:43:59 MYT 2004
>>Fri Feb  6 16:46:01 MYT 2004
>
> How come the DATE=`date` ; echo $DATE removes ONE space??

guess:

$DATE contains "Fri Feb  6 16:43:59 MYT 2004". This is expanded, then
fed to echo. Echo ignores multiple spaces.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: avalon repo is crowding

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 06 February 2004 16:48, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> DATE=`date` ; cvs -q update -dP ; echo $DATE ; date
>
> Fri Feb 6 16:43:59 MYT 2004
> Fri Feb  6 16:46:01 MYT 2004

How come the DATE=`date` ; echo $DATE removes ONE space??

Niclas

Re: avalon repo is crowding

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 06 February 2004 15:26, Leo Simons wrote:
> 'cvs up' is starting to take long for /me/ (100mbit). Can't imagine what
> it must be doing to poor souls on plain broadband, or worse, dialup.

I guess I am one of these "poor souls on plain broadband" (256kbps), and here
is my 'report';

DATE=`date` ; cvs -q update -dP ; echo $DATE ; date

Fri Feb 6 16:43:59 MYT 2004
Fri Feb  6 16:46:01 MYT 2004

= 2 minutes...
incl of ~300 various updates, patches and removals.

I can live with that, especially since we have this Subversion looming over us
in the next couple of months.

Niclas