Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Anja Gruenheid <an...@gatech.edu> on 2011/03/04 04:28:24 UTC

Stats Gathering Problems

Hi!

I'm trying to gather statistics for tables by using the autogather
functionality. It works for the size of the table and the number of
files, but when I use the ANALYZE command, it tells me 'could not update
stats' and no row counts are computed. I followed the instructions on
the wiki and set autogather to true, I also replaced the parameters like
this:

set hive.stats.dbclass=jdbc:mysql;

set hive.stats.dbconnectionstring="jdbc:mysql://localhost/mstore";

set hive.stats.jdbcdriver="org.apache.mysql.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver";

The problem with the second parameter was that whenever I specified
something after the ';' like suggested in the wiki, it threw an error.
Does anyone have suggestions what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Anja

Re: Stats Gathering Problems

Posted by Anja Gruenheid <an...@gatech.edu>.
I tried to use the default settings and with that it works (at least it
doesn't throw an error). What's weird is that it collects the data on
files/files size etc., but it doesn't compute the row count. Do you have
any idea why that could be? The table is based on a textfile and is
handled as managed table. The log is clean when I use the default
parameters. The stats information is stored in one of the MySQL tables.

Posted by Ning Zhang <nz...@fb.com>.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Anja Gruenheid <an...@gatech.edu>> wrote:
Hi!

When I add this to hive-site.xml, I get the following exception when starting Hive:

[Fatal Error] hive-site.xml:31:2: The markup in the document following the root element must be well-formed.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document following the root element must be well-formed.
       at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.loadResource(Configuration.java:1168)
       at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.loadResources(Configuration.java:1040)
       at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getProps(Configuration.java:980)
       at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.get(Configuration.java:382)
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.conf.HiveConf.initialize(HiveConf.java:618)
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.conf.HiveConf.<init>(HiveConf.java:550)
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:431)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document following the root element must be well-formed.

Posted by Anja Gruenheid <an...@gatech.edu>.

Posted by Anja Gruenheid <an...@gatech.edu>.

Posted by Ajo Fod <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anja Gruenheid <an...@gatech.edu>.