Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Dave Smith <di...@dizzyd.com> on 2002/01/31 18:49:47 UTC

Version selection

Greetings..

Is there a version of turbine that is recommended for production use? I saw notes about there being a 2.2 release, but I can't seem to find that release -- has that been bypassed in lieu of a sooner 3.0 release?

Currently I'm using the 2.1 release that I stripped out of the TDK.

Thanks.

Diz

Re: Version selection

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
From: "Shaun Campbell" <sh...@virgin.net>
> Just a couple of questions. What's PI per month? Can't think what PI
stands
> for.

PI = Page Impressions

Cheers,

Scott

Re: Version selection

Posted by Shaun Campbell <sh...@virgin.net>.
Gareth

Got the answers from your website.

PI = page impressions
Database = Oracle 8i
Timescale = 6 months

Regards

Shaun

Posted by Gareth Coltman <ga...@majorband.co.uk>.

> Gareth
>
> Just a couple of questions. What's PI per month? Can't think what
> PI stands
> for.

Yep Page Impressions.

> Secondly, what database are you using?

Oracle 8i.

> Thirdly, how did you find Turbine and how long did the development take?

The length of any development is obviously effected by a lot more than just
the framework! But I will say that once developers had got the hang of
Turbine everyone said it was one of the easiest frameworks they had used,
and it certainly did speed up development.

> I've tinkered with Turbine and also had a go with J2EE and JSP
> and I really
> like Turbine and find the J2EE and JSP thing a complete nightmare.  It
> appears that you would agree with that.

In my opinion there are a number of MAJOR problem with the J2EE 'standard'
model (EJB/JSP):

* Slow (new app servers are getting better)
* Steep learning curve for EJB's
* No clean seperation between layers (JSP's always end up full of code)

I looked at struts and it seems quite good, but I just don't get the point
of using JSP's if you are going to servlet controller as well. (I'm sure
I'll get flamed for this!)

Turbine has some problems too, but mainly they are just conceptual. The
problem is that too few companies have heard of it and so in typical style
they are scared! It's also difficult to get Turbine developers - but as I
said - it's easy to learn...

Gareth

Re: Question about Turbine 2.2 and Fulcrum

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
Gary Bisaga wrote:

>Hi, according to the Fulcrum web site:
>
>   Fulcrum was developed as part of the Turbine Framework. It is now
>decoupled
>   and can be used by itself. Starting with version 2.2 Turbine will use the
>   decoupled Fulcrum.
>
>I just got Turbine from CVS and there are no references to
>org.apache.fulcrum. In a Turbine setup decoupled from Fulcrum I would expect
>there to be at least one (the place where you import the TurbineServices
>class, or perhaps in the TurbineServices class itself). Is it just that
>Turbine has been tested with the decoupled Fulcrum and the final switchover
>itself has not been made? Will it be made before final 2.2 is released?

turbine 2.2 will definitly use the decoupled torque and fulcrum ...
it's not finnished yet ...

just give us another 2 weeks ;-)

martin

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Friday, February 1, 2002, at 07:41  AM, Gary Bisaga wrote:

> I just got Turbine from CVS and there are no references to
> org.apache.fulcrum. In a Turbine setup decoupled from Fulcrum I would
> expect
> there to be at least one (the place where you import the TurbineServices
> class, or perhaps in the TurbineServices class itself). Is it just that
> Turbine has been tested with the decoupled Fulcrum and the final
> switchover
> itself has not been made? Will it be made before final 2.2 is released?

Yes and Yes.

-Eric

Question about Turbine 2.2 and Fulcrum

Re: Version selection

Re: Version selection

Posted by Dave Hollar <da...@bizpiranha.com>.
thanks Gareth .. that's plenty to give me a rough idea
it's reassuring to see that volume being handled with turbine/tomcat

RE: Version selection

Posted by Gareth Coltman <ga...@majorband.co.uk>.
12 netra X1's

Re: Version selection