Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by ta...@gmail.com on 2015/04/03 14:35:00 UTC

Fwd: Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?

All,
  What do we think?

Re: Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hey Tim,

+1 from me, I think this would be great to do.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hey Tim,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 this makes immense sense to me. Thanks Juls and Tim.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Yes, this would be great, if you need any PDFBox assistance then count me in.

-- John

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hey Tim,

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
All,

What do you think?  (this is the third time I've tried to send to POI dev...many apologies if the other two emails spring up all of a sudden!).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/common-crawl/Cv21VRQjGN0

Re: FW: Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?

Posted by Oleg Tikhonov <ol...@apache.org>.
I Tim,
Having looked at CC, a couple of ideas crossed the mind. I think it's cool.
+1.

BR,
Oleg

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
Tim,
seems interesting, because it provides big test dataset.
As I see, they store pdfs/docs in WARC files, so there's source data for
parsing.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
POI Colleagues,

  If you'd like a table (or better yet, the h2 database) of the results of runs against govdocs1 with stack traces, let me know where I should post it.  This came in quite handy for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1512, where the reporter couldn't share the document.   I'll be rerunning this process soon once we have a release candidate for Tike 1.8.

    The downside to govdocs1 for POI is that there are very few docx/pptx/xlsx.  I'm hoping to unzip the slice of common crawl that Julien Nioche grabbed for us on TIKA-1302 soon, and I'll let you know what's in there.

             Best,

                       Tim

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
Dominik,
I've downloaded one of WARC files (from CC-MAIN-2015-01,
https://aws-publicdatasets.s3.amazonaws.com/common-crawl/crawl-data/CC-MAIN-2015-06/segments/1422115855094.38/warc/CC-MAIN-20150124161055-00000-ip-10-180-212-252.ec2.internal.warc.gz,
1.2GB) and
it contains at least PDFs and DOCs in crawled data.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
Dominik,

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
Tim,

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Sorry, link wasn’t included:

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Sorry, link wasn’t included:

RE: Fwd: Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Makes sense.

My thought was to continue (well, actually develop and mature) that comparison work on the Rackspace vm.

This could be an ancillary source of information.  It would come in monthly and wouldn't be as timely as being able to do our own runs, and it would only cover a single version, but I think it would still be quite valuable.

I'm mostly interested in differences between crawls with different
PDFBox versions.

And I already have one change where I wonder if anything will happen:
the text stripper code has this

wordSpacing == Float.NaN

however that is always false, and I wonder what differences will come up
when using the correct code, which is

Float.isNaN(wordSpacing)

Tilman

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.