Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Jason Novotny <JD...@lbl.gov> on 2001/09/08 00:58:30 UTC

how to get the samples working

I'm having a lot of trouble getting just a single sample working
properly, in particular the StockQuote example.

I'm using xml-soap out of CVS and then I build the "buildwar" target
which gives me a soap.war and the soap.jar. I copy both over to Tomcat
3.2.3. Then I go to the samples directory and build the code. I notice
that the soap.war does not contain any of the class files for the sample
services, so I try to create
webapps/soap/WEB-INF/classes/samples/stockquote and stick
StockQuoteService.class in there. I next startup Tomcat and deploy the
service as mentioned in the stockquote/README:

java -classpath
/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/mail.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/activation.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/crimson.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/soap.jar:.
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://binkley.lbl.gov/soap/servlet/rpcrouter deploy
DeploymentDescriptor.xml

When I do a list I get:

binkley:stockquote>java -classpath
/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/mail.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/activation.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/crimson.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/soap.jar:.
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://binkley.lbl.gov/soap/servlet/rpcrouter list
Deployed Services:
        urn:xmltoday-delayed-quotes

So far so good, now I try out the GetStockQuote client:
binkley:stockquote>java -classpath
/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/activation.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/mail.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/crimson.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/jaxp.jar:/usr/portal/tomcat/lib/soap.jar:.
GetQuote http://binkley.lbl.gov/soap/servlet/rpcrouter IBM
Ouch, the call failed:
  Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Server.BadTargetObjectURI
  Fault String = Unable to resolve target object:
samples.stockquote.StockQuoteService

What's going on here? I've tried several possibilities which all result
in this same error message.

It would be really awesome if the packaged soap war file actually
contained all the Service classes and possibly a "DeployedServices.ds"
with all the services automatically registered, so I could just invoke
the client right upon starting Tomcat. Has anyone thought about doing
this?

    Thanks, Jason

--
Jason Novotny               jdnovotny@lbl.gov
Home: (510) 610-8360        Work: (510) 486-8662