Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2012/06/01 03:37:38 UTC

Re: Rule updates are too old

On Thu, 31 May 2012, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:

> SpamAssassin version 3.3.0 has not had a rule update since 2012-02-25.
> SpamAssassin version 3.3.1 has not had a rule update since 2012-02-25.
> SpamAssassin version 3.3.2 has not had a rule update since 2012-02-25.

We appear to have just crossed the threshold, maybe we'll get a rules
update this weekend...

 	http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/tot.svg

woohoo!

   The Tea Party wants to remove the Crony from Crony Capitalism.
   OWS wants to remove Capitalism from Crony Capitalism.
                                                     -- Astaghfirullah
  6 days until the 68th anniversary of D-Day

Re: Rule updates are too old

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
We appear to have just crossed the threshold, maybe we'll get a rules
update this weekend...

>     http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/tot.svg
>
> woohoo!

Hot Damn.

Re: Rule updates are too old

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
Den 2012-06-01 16:35, Axb skrev:

> trap servers don't use rbls or AV tools.
> If anything they'll discard after accepting.

super i start building one new mta so, if one like to help me send it
offlist

Re: Rule updates are too old

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 06/01, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> Den 2012-06-01 03:54, darxus@chaosreigns.com skrev:
>
> >>http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/tot.svg
>
> from 2007 ?

Yes, that data goes back to 2007.  And the last tick on the right is July
2012, which the data lines haven't reached yet.

> how does others make spamcorpus with mta rejecting spam from rbl &
> clamav milter ?

I actually stopped blocking on RBLs at my MTA to get better data for this.
"Real" spam sent to real users and manually verified is better than what
can easily be harvested in very large quantities with spamtraps.  I'd say
the spam that gets through blocking on RBLs to real users is also much
better than what you can get from a spam trap.

What matters the most is the stuff that's hard to catch.  And I fear
that is currently massively under-represented.  It doesn't need to be
all spam that was sent to you in order to be useful for re-scoring.

I think when I started I was automatically rejecting on RBLs and
automatically rejecting everything over some spamassassin threshold, and
the people on this list at the time had no objection to me contributing the
spam that still got through.  That's the most important stuff.

Spam traps are obviously very useful, but I'd say they're far from
representative of the spam end users ever see getting through their spam
filters.

--
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, then
he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet

Re: Rule updates are too old

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Re: Rule updates are too old

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 06/01/2012 01:50 PM, Matthias Leisi wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Kevin A. McGrail<KM...@pccc.com>  wrote:
>
>> They are biased but we'll build on it and get more masscheckers!
>
> I can provide a mostly spamtrap-driven corpus. It's size is basically
> endless, I'm just throwing most of it away currently.
>
> -- Matthias

Matthias

I'll contact you offlist (or as per Swinog : "offline" :)

Re: Rule updates are too old

Posted by Matthias Leisi <ma...@leisi.net>.

Re: Rule updates are too old

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Re: Rule updates are too old

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

On 05/31, John Hardin wrote:
> We appear to have just crossed the threshold, maybe we'll get a
> rules update this weekend...
>
> 	http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/tot.svg
>
> woohoo!

Wow, cool.

Looks like that's largely axb-generic, went from 41,619 to 103,398 spams
for the last two weekly / net masschecks.  The second largest spam corpus
contributor is llanga, at 5,756.  63% of the spam is from axb-generic.

--
"Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right." - Ricky Gervais
http://www.ChaosReigns.com