Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Al Simpkins <wh...@yahoo.com> on 2013/08/23 23:23:04 UTC

How?

Ido not use Open Office and tried to remove it via control panel but message says it can't without inserting a disc wit removal on it.
How can I do that when OO WAS A DOWNLOADED APP WITHOUT A DISC?
It is eating up 326 MB OF MY HARD DRIVE.
I NEED TO GET IIT OUT!
Thanks

Re: How?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Now, on to your question...

My best guess is that the windows add/remove stuff works by looking at
the windows registery. Removing a program probably looks in the
registery to see where the installer is located (but I am guessing).

If this points to a CD, that is a problem and you cannot remove it that
way.

My recommendation is that you download a copy of the program from the
internet (same version) and then run the installer that you downloaded.
That will probably fix your problem....

OK Al, now a question for you... were you doing something with planes in
Germany in the 1940's?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: How?

Posted by roly luis <rl...@gmail.com>.
Hi. If my hunch is correct that you're using Windows, you may have to
uninstall it through the Control Panel > Programs & (?). If the instruction
to insert a disk thru this method is the result, then indeed it is a very
weird, irritating situation. Hope you'll get your solution soon.

--
rmluis

Re: How?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 08/23/2013 07:40 PM, Scooter wrote:
> Rima: If its so bad why are you on this list?

Perhaps Rima uses other aspects of AOO.... Or, as an artist rather than
a computing professional, Rima is creating some artistic masterpiece
centered around user-group questions.... You just never can tell.

> Al Simpkin: what OS are you running? If its Microsoft its easy, but
> I'm guessing it is not.
>     Why was it on your computer, if you didn't install it?

Good question....

Re: How?

Posted by Scooter <sc...@scootersdesk.com>.

Re: How?

Posted by Lavie Chabom <fr...@me.com>.
Ι think Pages is the best from iWork

Laval Chabon
frandey@me.com

Re: How?

Posted by Allmen Quester <a....@gmail.com>.
Would it not be possible to just delete the folders and then run a registry
cleaner to ferret out any leftover visages?
Running Windows:
If the folder will not delete, there are free programs, "Unlocker," and
"Glary Utilities," that should solve the problem.
Glary Utilities also has a registry cleaner.

Re: How?

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.

Re: How?

Posted by TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com>.

Re: How?

Re: How?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:23:04 -0700 (PDT)
Al Simpkins <wh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ido not use Open Office and tried to remove it via control panel but message says it can't without inserting a disc wit removal on it.
> How can I do that when OO WAS A DOWNLOADED APP WITHOUT A DISC?
> It is eating up 326 MB OF MY HARD DRIVE.
> I NEED TO GET IIT OUT!
> Thanks

Three choices: either reinstall the version you used, then, without deleting the install files (usually on the desktop) use Control Panel to remove it - Control Panel is looking for the install files.

Or:
download and use RevoUninstaller at its most aggressive to remove it.

Or: just delete the Program files by hand and use some registry cleaner like CCleaner to clean the registry,

If in any doubt about computer manipulation the first method is the safest.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>