Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/25 17:18:55 UTC

CGI mapping portal

Hello everyone,

I would really like to get a well known internet mapping software called
MapServer working as a portlet. MapServer is an open source cgi program
written in C. It plugs right into the Apache servers cgi-bin directory.
There is a map file that is configured to read local or database driven
spatial data and an html template similar to Velocity that defines the
layout of the map, scalebar, legend, and reference map.

Since it is commonly installed in Apache I would be tempted to create a
portlet that serves as a proxy to Apache. Any clues on how to do this? I
would be interested in contributing the result.

Thanks,
Philip

Re: [vote] M4 Release

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> I'd like to propose skipping over the M4 release and going straight to a
> FINAL 2.0 release, shooting for first week of December release date.
>
> Could we please have a vote on this?
+1

> I fear we will not have time to do both a M4 and FINAL release before
> ApacheCon.
I think we also need a portals-bridges release (0.4 or 1.0, whatever) then.
I'll send out a separate vote for that on the bridges-dev list.

Re: [vote] M4 Release

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
El mar, 25-10-2005 a las 18:45 -0700, David Sean Taylor escribió:
> I'd like to propose skipping over the M4 release and going straight to a
> FINAL 2.0 release, shooting for first week of December release date.
>
> Could we please have a vote on this?

+1 here too (way too late).

> I fear we will not have time to do both a M4 and FINAL release before
> ApacheCon.

I agree that two release processes in such a short time would be a big
effort, and further would not leave almost time for feedback and bug
fixing in the process.

Regards
Santiago

> Thanks,
>
> David

VP and Chair, Apache Portals (http://portals.apache.org)
Apache Software Foundation

Re: [vote] Final Release, M4 Release

Posted by Marky Goldstein <re...@rosa.com>.
+1 ( I can help testing, unfortunately currently only testing and docu );
Best regards,
Marky

RE: [vote] M4 Release

Posted by Scott T Weaver <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
+1

Re: [vote] M4 Release

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.

Re: [vote] M4 Release

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
+1

Re: [vote] M4 Release

Posted by Shinsuke SUGAYA <sh...@yahoo.co.jp>.
+1

Thanks,
  shinsuke

Re: [vote] M4 Release

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
+1

--- David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> wrote:

> I'd like to propose skipping over the M4 release and
> going straight to a
> FINAL 2.0 release, shooting for first week of
> December release date.
>
> Could we please have a vote on this?
>
> I fear we will not have time to do both a M4 and
> FINAL release before
> ApacheCon.
>

> Thanks,
>
> David

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> jetspeed-dev-help@portals.apache.org

________________________
David Le Strat
Blogging @ http://dlsthoughts.blogspot.com

[vote] M4 Release

Re: CGI mapping portal

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roger,

The Query string looks like this :
?map=/path/file.map&layer=cities&layer=streets&zoomdir=1&zoomsize=2&program=/url/file.psml&mode=map&root=/base/url&webimagepath=/path/tmp/&webimageurl=/url/&webtemplate=path/file.html

All of the map actions request the program parameter.

I'll try your new code when it comes in. The mapserver doesn't pick up
the get parameters using the current perl bridge.

I got it working with a modified version of the perl bridge. The first
argument to the script is QUEREY_STRING="{http.request.queryString}".
It's simple because it doesn't need the rewriter config and the
portlet init params are the like the above query params.

I can contribute it as a mapserver bridge. The issue that I have is
the mapserver intallation is not like java. MapServer has separate
binaries for windows and the different linux arches. Survey : What os
are you running under jetspeed? Is a mapping server a commonly
requested requirement?

I also don't know if the license is compatible with the apache license.

Philip

Philip Donaghy
www.capferret.org
+33 5 56 60 88 02
+33 6 20 83 22 62

Re: CGI mapping portal

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.

Re: CGI mapping portal

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roger,

Re: CGI mapping portal

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.

Re: CGI mapping portal

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roger, Raphael,

Re: CGI mapping portal

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
Philip,

Re: CGI mapping portal

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would really like to get a well known internet mapping software called
> MapServer working as a portlet. MapServer is an open source cgi program
> written in C. It plugs right into the Apache servers cgi-bin directory.
> There is a map file that is configured to read local or database driven
> spatial data and an html template similar to Velocity that defines the
> layout of the map, scalebar, legend, and reference map.
>
> Since it is commonly installed in Apache I would be tempted to create a
> portlet that serves as a proxy to Apache. Any clues on how to do this? I
> would be interested in contributing the result.

Hi Philip,

As an alternative approach, you can also have a look at the Perl bridge
portlet which actually a simple CGI bridge so could handle with little to
no customization a C CGI program.

This would save you the hassle and overload of an additional http request
so it's probably the fastest (and easiest) way to go.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/