Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2001/09/10 22:08:28 UTC

merge macros (was: Re: mod_ssl broken)

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 09:23:59AM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> [...]

And the SVN merge macros came from mod_dav. The only reason mod_dav_fs
doesn't have a similar macro is that it only has a single item to merge, so
I just spelled it out.

So you could say that I'm hitting 3 for 3 with using that INHERIT_VALUE
macro, and would appreciate a core version of it.

AP_CFG_MERGE_* located in http_config.h would make some sense to me.

In the mod_ssl version, there was the "unset" param; I would suggest the
simplest for assumes NULL. A second one would take an "unset" param.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: merge macros

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 03:18:35PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> On Monday 10 September 2001 15:11, Sander Striker wrote:
> > Ryan, was that a -1, or just a 'don't invest time in it, I don't
> > think it's worth it'?
>
> The latter.  I would never veto something like this, I just don't believe that
> it is required.

Translated as, "I wouldn't spend time on it, but your time is yours -- feel
free spend your time on it if you want."

IMO, things that clarify or make the codebase more consistent are always a
good thing. In some cases, not enough of this happens and the codebase
begins to show its creakiness. Adding comments, increasing consistency,
refactoring, etc.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: merge macros (was: Re: mod_ssl broken)

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
On Monday 10 September 2001 15:11, Sander Striker wrote:

> Ryan, was that a -1, or just a 'don't invest time in it, I don't
> think it's worth it'?

The latter.  I would never veto something like this, I just don't believe that
it is required.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 09:23:59AM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

Consistency wise I would find it usefull to put a patch together.
But if I know beforehand that it is not going in, I'd rather defer
and use my energy elsewhere.

Sander