Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Dean Iverson <de...@pleasingsoftware.com> on 2007/02/28 04:19:22 UTC

Problems running FOP on a Mac

Hello,

I downloaded FOP 0.93 today and tried running it on my MacBook Pro
with Apple's Java v1.6.  Running it gave a NoSuchMethodError for
org.apache.xalan.transformer.SerializerSwitcher#switchSerializerIfHTML.

It turned out that Apple includes a 14compatibility.jar in it's Java
distribution (located in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
Versions/1.6.0/Classes/.compatibility/).

Note that this jar file is also present in the Apple's Java 1.5 distribution
so it probably will mess you up in that version as well.

A little research turned up the fact that this jar file contains old versions
of Xalan and a few other XML-related APIs.  FOP ran fine after deleting
that jar file.  This was based on the advice given at

http://static.springframework.org/spring-ws/site/faq.html

See "Why do the Spring-WS unit tests fail under Mac OS X?"

Just wanted to post this in case somebody else runs into this in the future.

Dean