Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Richard Zschech <ri...@cqrdata.com> on 2002/04/29 14:58:30 UTC

Document level comments getNextSibling()

Hi,

Im having trouble treversing all the child nodes from the Document object.
Usually when treversing the child nodes from an Element for example I go:

Node node = element.getFirstChild();
while(node != null) {
   // do some processing

   node = node.getNextSibling();
}

But when I do this starting from a Document with comments and a root like:

<!-- comment 1 -->
<!-- comment 2 -->
<root/>

the nextSibling() method of the <!-- comment 1 --> node returns null.

The following method of iteraton also dosent work because
nodeList.getLength() returns 1.

NodeList nodeList = document.getChildNodes();
for(int i=0; i<nodeList.getLength(); i++) {
    // do some processing
}

Is this whats supposed to happen?

If I print the DOM tree with a identity JAXP transformer the whole tree
comes out so their obviously there Im just not accessing them correctly.
How does it treverse the documents children?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
 From Richard.