Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/07 14:11:30 UTC

Web ui

Hi,

I started to write my own web ui with GWT. With GWT I can manage
everything within one page, I can set refreshing durations for
each part of the page. And also a better look and feel with the help
of GWT styling.

But I can't get references of NameNode and JobTracker instances.
I found out that they're sent to web ui as application parameters when
hadoop initializes.

I'll try to contribute gui part of my project to hadoop source, if you
want, no problem.
But I need static references to namenode and jobtracker for this.

And I think it will be useful for everyone like me.

M. Rasit OZDAS

Re: Web ui

Posted by Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com>.
@Nick, I'm using ajax very often and previously done projects with ZK
and JQuery, I can easily say that GWT was the easiest of them.
Javascript is only needed where core features aren't enough. I can
easily assume that we won't need any inline javascript.

@Philip,
Thanks for the point. That is a better solution than I imagine,
actually, and I won't have to wait since it's a resolved issue.

--
M. Raşit ÖZDAŞ

Re: Web ui

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started to write my own web ui with GWT. With GWT I can manage
> everything within one page, I can set refreshing durations for
> each part of the page. And also a better look and feel with the help
> of GWT styling.
>
> But I can't get references of NameNode and JobTracker instances.
> I found out that they're sent to web ui as application parameters when
> hadoop initializes.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5257 proposes a plugin layer
for Hadoop daemons.  Might be useful for your application.

Re: Web ui

Posted by Nick Cen <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rasit,

I have do a little bit research in GWT previously, and i think that
framework is a little bit difficult to use in ajax development cause he use
its own data format and the js has to be placed in the comment.
Have you consider make the server side just output pure json/xml data , and
let the client site pickup whatever it want.

--
http://daily.appspot.com/food/