Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2015/02/11 17:13:00 UTC

Re: [OT] FileNotFoundException for existing JAR files

Re: [OT] FileNotFoundException for existing JAR files

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Gustavo,

On 2/14/15 10:42 AM, gustavo.avitabile@unina.it wrote:
> Quoting Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

>> Mark,
>>
>> On 2/13/15 1:02 PM, Mark H. Wood wrote:

>>> The 'ls' that comes as part of Gnu Coreutils will, when built
>>> that way, add a "+" to the mask to show that there is an ACL on
>>> the object.  (But that's all it does -- I still have to
>>> remember to use 'getfacl' to see what the ACL actually
>>> *says*.)
>>
>> Yep.
>>
>> - From Alexander's previous message, it did not seem like 'ls'
>> was notifying him about the presence of the acl. I checked the
>> gnu-coreutils man pages and info pages, and neither mention ACLs.
>> Can you give me a reference for the "+" thing?
>>
>> - -chris
>
> Hi Chris: On my Ubuntu 14.04  LTS box:
>
> a@Ubuntu:~/Documents$ ls -l total 4 -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 21 Feb
> 14 15:18 test a@Ubuntu:~/Documents$ cat test cat: test: Permission
> denied a@Ubuntu:~/Documents$ getfacl test # file: test # owner:
> root # group: root user::rwx user:a:--- group::rwx mask::rwx
> other::rwx
>
> For more information: man acl and man setfacl

I'm aware of these. I'm just saying that Alexander's message from 10
February has an "ls -l" listing that does not indicate that there are
extended file attributes.

- -chris

Re: [OT] FileNotFoundException for existing JAR files

Posted by gu...@unina.it.

       Gustavo Avitabile

Re: [OT] FileNotFoundException for existing JAR files

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 01:21:13PM -0500, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On 2/13/15 1:02 PM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:46:37AM -0500, Christopher Schultz
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Alexander,

> >> Aah, yes: the ACL. That's one of those super-fun *NIX-isms that
> >> can ruin your day.
> >>
> >> $ ls -l
> >>
> >> - -rwxrwxrwx chris chris   100 a_file
> >>
> >> $ cat a_file
> >>
> >> cat: a_file: Permission denied
> >>
> >> *grumble*
> >>
> >> The best part is that 'ls' doesn't show you there is a problem,
> >> at least not directly. Everyone always forgets about the other
> >> commands.
> >
> > The 'ls' that comes as part of Gnu Coreutils will, when built that
> > way, add a "+" to the mask to show that there is an ACL on the
> > object.  (But that's all it does -- I still have to remember to
> > use 'getfacl' to see what the ACL actually *says*.)
>
> Yep.
>
> - From Alexander's previous message, it did not seem like 'ls' was
> notifying him about the presence of the acl. I checked the
> gnu-coreutils man pages and info pages, and neither mention ACLs. Can
> you give me a reference for the "+" thing?

coreutils.info v8.21, section 10.1.2: "What information is listed".
About 52% down the page: "[f]ollowing the file mode bits is a singe
character that specifies whether an alternate access method such as an
access control list applies to the file."  You could just search for
"alternate access method".

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu

Re: [OT] FileNotFoundException for existing JAR files

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] FileNotFoundException for existing JAR files

Posted by Alexander Johnson <al...@expedia.com>.
Thanks Chris,

It looks like that's true.  It turns out this wasn't a permissions issue
at all.  For some reason copying the JAR files out of the directory and
back into it caused them to be picked up (I read this in a suggestion
somewhere).  Reading the 'man' entry for cp I see that it doesn't preserve
"Access Control Lists (ACLs) and Extended Attributes (EAs), including
resource forks" unless the -p flag is set (this is on by default when
using mv).  My guess is that removing this "access control" information
somehow made the files accessible to the tomcat7-maven-plugin.  It seems a
little sketchy that I don't really know the root cause of the problem, but
I'm happy that it's now fixed.

-Alex

On 2/11/15, 8:13 AM, "Christopher Schultz" <ch...@christopherschultz.net>