Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Diego, Emil" <ed...@exchange.sba.miami.edu> on 2002/01/28 16:46:06 UTC

Problems switching a site from one server to another

Hello,

	Here is my situation.  We have a large unix box that is hosting a
large number of sites and is inncredibly slow.  The main site is
www.bus.miami.edu.  There are hundreds of other smaller sites beigt hosted
under that name as well, for example www.bus.miami.edu/~diegoe/.  We moved
the main site to a new linux box, which is much faster.  Both servers are
running apache.

	The problem is this.  We cant change the DNS entry for
www.bus.miami.edu to point to the new linux server because of all the
smaller sites that are still being hosted on the old server.  We setup a
redirect so that all hits to www.bus.miami.edu and only that address are
redirected to the new server.  The problem is that there are many entry
points into the site that aren't being redirected.  For example
www.bus.miami.edu/display_pages/test1.html wont be redirected.

	My question is this.  Is there anything I can do to automatically
redirect everything under www.bus.miami.edu/display_pages/ to the new
server, all files and all sub directories.

Thanx in advance for the help.

Emil Diego
Web Coordinator
University of Miami School of Business
ph: 305.284.5449
fx: 305.284.3404

Re: Problems switching a site from one server to another

Posted by Andrew Hawkes <ah...@unicon.net>.
Check out mod_rewrite. It will for sure do what you want.

-Andy