Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net> on 2002/08/21 22:38:35 UTC

RPM Upgrade from 4.0.4 - error: failed dependencies:

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me why the LE version has a
dependency on jaxp/xml api/commons logging.  This is all functionality
found in J2SDK 1.4 (hence the LE version), right?  My guess is that the
packages contain "better versions" - is this correct?  My SDK install
was via RPM as well.  I'm going to hold off on the upgrade until I get a
signal that these dependencies are actually needed.  I don't mind adding
commons logging and log4j, as I use them anyway, and like the idea of a
RPM install.  However, the jaxp/xml api stuff has thrown me for a loop.
 I really don't think any of these dependencies should exist.

error: failed dependencies:
        jaxp_parser_impl is needed by tomcat4-4.1.9-le.1jpp
        xml-commons-apis is needed by tomcat4-4.1.9-le.1jpp
        jakarta-commons-logging >= 1.0.1 is needed by tomcat4-4.1.9-le.1jpp

I know someone out there knows if these are true requirements, or if
this is perhaps a misconfiguration in building the RPMs.  I would
appreciate it if they would step forward and clearify this point for me.
 :-)

I can't say how shocked I was to find RPMs for the beta to begin with.
 I suppose kudos for that go out to Henri (and, I'm sure, many others as
well).  I, for one, really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Eddie

Re: RPM Upgrade from 4.0.4 - error: failed dependencies:

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
(tumbleweed blows by in the wind ...)

Could someone please fill me in regarding this?  I'm still looking for
the answer, but haven't found it yet.  Obviously, I could just
download/install the RPMs, but I don't see why I should have to install
the same sun-provided packages twice.  What implications does this imply
wrt my SDK install?

Thanks!

Eddie

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Yes - had I looked - he replied.  Sorry if my reply seemed pointed ;-)
 Needless to say, I felt very stupid when I saw his responses gave good
coverage of what your explaination did not.  Thanks for chipping in -
it's always good to hear your advice!

Eddie

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Eddie Bush wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:38:35 -0500
> From: Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RPM Upgrade from 4.0.4 - error: failed dependencies:
>
> Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me why the LE version has a
> dependency on jaxp/xml api/commons logging.  This is all functionality
> found in J2SDK 1.4 (hence the LE version), right?  My guess is that the
> packages contain "better versions" - is this correct?  My SDK install
> was via RPM as well.  I'm going to hold off on the upgrade until I get a
> signal that these dependencies are actually needed.  I don't mind adding
> commons logging and log4j, as I use them anyway, and like the idea of a
> RPM install.  However, the jaxp/xml api stuff has thrown me for a loop.
>  I really don't think any of these dependencies should exist.
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>         jaxp_parser_impl is needed by tomcat4-4.1.9-le.1jpp
>         xml-commons-apis is needed by tomcat4-4.1.9-le.1jpp
>         jakarta-commons-logging >= 1.0.1 is needed by tomcat4-4.1.9-le.1jpp
>
> I know someone out there knows if these are true requirements, or if
> this is perhaps a misconfiguration in building the RPMs.  I would
> appreciate it if they would step forward and clearify this point for me.
>  :-)

The reason for the dependency on commons-logging is that Tomcat itself
needs to run on pre-JDK-1.4 platforms, so it cannot use JDK 1.4 logging
directly.  Instead, commons-logging is a wrapper API that allows people
running Tomcat to use JDK 1.4 logging if they are on 1.4 (that's what I do
in my personal environment), or use Log4J if they like that better or are
running on 1.2 or 1.3.

> I can't say how shocked I was to find RPMs for the beta to begin with.
>  I suppose kudos for that go out to Henri (and, I'm sure, many others as
> well).  I, for one, really appreciate it!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eddie

Craig