Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/10/01 19:31:21 UTC

Common mailet.log entries

I am not refering to the logging API issue this time.  :-)  We don't have
one, so we need to make do for this release.

The following show a common set of log entries.  Which ones do people want
to keep for the release?  We can mark out the rest using a debug flag, since
we don't have finer control over mailet log entries.

 ToProcessor: Sending mail org.apache.james.core.MailImpl@5e6a13 to
transport
 RemoteDelivery: Remotely delivering mail Mail<ID>
 RemoteDelivery: sending mail to [<recipient>] on host <domain>
 RemoteDelivery: Remote delivery thread (1) will process mail
Mail<ID>-to-<domain>
 RemoteDelivery: attempting to deliver Mail<ID>-to-<domain>
 RemoteDelivery: attempting delivery of Mail<ID>-to-<domain> to host <host>
to [<recipient>]
 RemoteDelivery: mail (Mail<ID>-to-<domain>) sent successfully to <host>.

I'm thinking that I'd keep only the last two, which tell us that we
attempted to send an e-mail to a user (and where), and that it was sent
successfully.  The rest are more debugging/tracing messages.

Another mailet log message that I would keep is:

 ToRepository: Storing mail Mail<ID> in <repository>

We only log exceptions LocalRepository, but I am not trying to add logging
right now, just tune what we have.  We can always write a logging mailet (in
the spirit of servlet logging filters), that takes a mail message and
creates a log entry.

I'd remove the non-exception messages in other mailets.

	--- Noel