Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Vash_X@gmx.de" <Va...@gmx.de> on 2022/12/08 18:54:03 UTC

Volume-size on physical storage differs hugely from configured size in CS management

Hi everyone,

today i found some strange things going on in my setup and i currently
lacking a idea where to start looking for debugging.

Running currently CS 4.17.0.1 i noticed that the actual on-disk-size on our
nfs-storage isn't matching the configured volume-size in CS Management.
We are using kvm only.
As of now i found multiple machines which are using a 50GB sized service
offering for creation of root volume, which are bigger then 100GB on the
actual storage.

Connecting into the VMs and checking the amount of storage the VM is
thinking it is using is even less; for example:

VM with 50GB thin provisioned root volume; shown correctly in mgmt and db
-> used ammount of storage according to OS: 21GB of 50GB -> size on
nfs-storage for the volume-file: 120GB

I checked the values inside the CS DB as well as the settings for the
serviceofferings and everything seems to be completely fine.
Also the nfs server settings are looking good.

Did anybody has a suggestion on where to look into? As of know it seems i
am waisting a lot of storage without any particular reason.
Regards.

Re: Volume-size on physical storage differs hugely from configured size in CS management

Posted by "Vash_X@gmx.de" <Va...@gmx.de>.
Hi Wei,

thanks for you shared information. As always really helpfull.

Regards

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Exactly.

Posted by "Vash_X@gmx.de" <Va...@gmx.de>.
Hi Wei,

indeed. I am using snapshots every now and then, but i delete them quiet
fast.
From your question i would assume that the vm-snapshots are 'expending' the

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Vash_X@gmx.de" <Va...@gmx.de>.
I forgot to mention:

Looking into the mangement server under 'storage/volumes/' i can see that
the Utilisation is way over 100%, worst i found is 237%. Without any alarm
and notification...