Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "David J. Biesack" <Da...@sas.com> on 2010/07/23 17:34:20 UTC

skin and/or site.xml via parent pom?

I'm seeing maven2 build failures because of the timeouts at central

    Caused by: org.apache.maven.doxia.tools.SiteToolException: ArtifactNotFoundException: The skin does not exist: Unable to determine the release version
    Then, install it using the command:
    mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.skins -DartifactId=maven-default-skin -Dversion=RELEASE -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
    Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there:
    mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.skins -DartifactId=maven-default-skin -Dversion=RELEASE -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]
    org.apache.maven.skins:maven-default-skin:jar:RELEASE

We have multiple Maven 2 builds and run Artifactory for a repo cache.
I've downloaded maven-default-skin-1.0 to our repo cache so it will be resolved there,
but we still get the errors. Perhaps something is trying to reference a snapshot skin,
but I don't know where it is coming from.

I've read what I can find; it seems I need to specify the skin in a site.xml but
I don't want to duplicate that in more than a dozen projects - I want to inherit it from a parent pom
that they all use.
The on-line Maven book discusses creating a skin or configuring a skin, but I can find no doc on
how to configure the skin site.xml via the parent pom or otherwise configure so that all projects pick
up the same skin - maven-default-skin 1.0.

Alternatively, is there is a fixed plug-in dependency that I can add to the parent pom
so that it uses the 1.0 skin. We already have

                        <plugin>
                                <version>2.1.1</version>
                        </plugin>

in the parent pom and we still get the above error sometimes.

thanks

--
David J. Biesack, SAS
SAS Campus Dr. Cary, NC 27513

Re: skin and/or site.xml via parent pom?

Posted by "David J. Biesack" <Da...@sas.com>.
Thanks, Dennis.

I also found that when using a site.xml in the parent pom project, I had to use

  <menu ref="reports" inherit="top"/>

in order for the project's info reports to show up.

It was not clear that I had to use the inherit attribute.
All of the examples I saw simply show

  <menu ref="reports"/>

My sites/reports are looking good, now.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-07-26 15:53, David J. Biesack wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:15:16 +0200
>> From: Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>
>>
>> This error usually shows up when there is a problem accessing the
>> central repository, or a corporate repository proxy.
>
> Right; we periodically get timeouts from Central; that's why
> I wanted to set a fixed version for the skin.
>
>> Inheritance of site.xml from a parent is automatic, as long as the
>> parent pom has its site.xml attached to it when you deploy it to your
>> repository.
>
> Thanks. Is this documented somewhere? I searched a lot of places and could not
> determine how sites and parent poms worked. It was not at all obvious
> to me that I could run site-deploy on a parent pom project or that this
> would do something useful.

I'm not sure if/where it is documented, but I'll make sure to add a note
about this in the Site Plugin documentation.

> And where exactly is the default skin and version specified - i.e.
> it not resolved locally when I added maven-default-skin 1.0 to
> our Artifactory repo - I assume because some default somewhere specifies
> a different version?

The default value can be found in Maven Doxia :: Doxia Decoration Model.
The default value is

  groupId = org.apache.maven.skins
  artifactId = maven-default-skin

Unfortunately no version is specified, which might just be the reason
for your (and others) problems. We should really specify a version for
the default value. I'll open a JIRA issue for that.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: skin and/or site.xml via parent pom?

Posted by "David J. Biesack" <Da...@sas.com>.

--
Dennis Lundberg