Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/04/10 02:30:54 UTC

Re: Byte range HTTP (fwd)

> I would like to discuss support for the byte ranges HTTP as
> discribed at www.adobe.com/Amber/develop.html#anchor67805
> or
> ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-luotonen-http-url-bytera
> nge-02.txt
>
> I am asking this for support of PDF (Acrobat) as a streaming data
> type.

PDF is not a streaming data type and this is an ugly hack just to
allow Adobe to save a week's worth of effort to do it right (i.e.,
to define a network-pdf format that transmits the catalog first
and lets the browser choose from sub-pages after that).

The Range header field (and the stuff that goes with it) will be worth
supporting for the sake of cache updates, but only after HTTP/1.1
is fully defined and submitted as an RFC.