Posted to dev@myriad.apache.org by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> on 2015/09/09 15:41:45 UTC

Question about the Wiki Instructions on yarn-site.xml

This was another "slipped in" question in my other thread, I am breaking
out for specific instructions.  Basically, I was struggling with with some
things in the wiki on this page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYRIAD/Installing+for+Administrators

In step 5:
Step 5: Configure YARN to use Myriad

Modify the */opt/hadoop-2.7.0/etc/hadoop/yarn-site.xml* file as instructed
in Sample: myriad-config-default.yml
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYRIAD/Sample%3A+myriad-config-default.yml>
.

Issue 1: It should link to the yarn-site.xml page, not hte
myriad-config.default.yml page

Issue 2:
It has us put that information in the yarn-site.xml This makes sense.  The
resource manager needs to be aware of the myriad stuff.

Then I go to create a tarball, (which I SHOULD be able to use for both
resource manager and nodemanager... right?) However, the instructions state
to remove the *.xml files.

Step 6: Create the Tarball

The tarball has all of the files needed for the Node Managers and  Resource
Managers. The following shows how to create the tarball and place it in
HDFS:
cd ~
sudo cp -rp /opt/hadoop-2.7.0 .
sudo rm hadoop-2.7.0/etc/hadoop/*.xml
sudo tar -zcpf ~/hadoop-2.7.0.tar.gz hadoop-2.7.0
hadoop fs -put ~/hadoop-2.7.0.tar.gz /dist

What I ended up doing... since I am running the resourcemanager (myriad) in
marathon, is I created two tarballs. One is my hadoop-2.7.0-RM.tar.gz which
has the all the xml files still in the tar ball for shipping to marathon.
Then other is hadoop-2.7.0-NM.tar.gz which per the instructions removes the
*.xml files from the /etc/hadoop/ directory.

I guess... my logic is that myriad creates the conf directory for the
nodemanagers... but then I thought, and I overthinking something? Am I
missing something? Could that be factoring into what I am doing here?

Obviously my first steps are to add the extra yarn-site.xml entries, but in
this current setup, they are only going into the resource manager yarn-site
as the the node-managers don't have a yarn-site in their directories.  Am I
looking at this correctly?  Perhaps we could rethink the removal process of
the XML files in the tarball to allow this to work correctly with a single
tarball?

If I am missing something here, please advise!

John

Re: Question about the Wiki Instructions on yarn-site.xml

Posted by Ruth Harris <rh...@maprtech.com>.
Thanks Darin1

--Ruth

--
Ruth Harris
Sr. Technical Writer, MapR

Re: Question about the Wiki Instructions on yarn-site.xml

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.

Posted by Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>.
Ruth, I wrote most of the remote distribution code and am going over John's
issue now.  Will inform you later today/tomorrow and/or update the wiki.

Darin

Posted by Ruth Harris <rh...@maprtech.com>.
Hi all,

--
Ruth Harris
Sr. Technical Writer, MapR

Re: Question about the Wiki Instructions on yarn-site.xml

Posted by Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.

Posted by Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>.