Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2006/06/16 01:45:25 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Time for 4.1.32?

Mark Thomas wrote:
+1's
Mark Thomas
Peter Rossbach
Bill Barker
Filip Hanik
Remy Maucherat
Rainer Jung

+0's
Yoav Shapira

The release of 4.1.32 beta is therefore approved by the Tomcat PMC.
I'll cut it this weekend with the announcement going out once it is on
the mirrors.

Regards,

Mark

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Time for 4.1.32?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Mark Thomas wrote:

> To clarify the position on the beta status, the Tomcat project has
> historically (at least as long as I have been involved anyway)
> released initially as Alpha/Beta as deemed appropriate, given people a
> few weeks to test and then had a stability vote. I intend to follow
> the same path for 4.1.32.

+1 - and I really think this is a great thing that Tomcat does for it's users.
Some weeks I wish httpd still did the same ;)

My earlier comment was specifically about 4.1 - I'd certainly like to keep
seeing stability votes on the rapidly changing 5.5 flavors, etc.  And if you
want to follow the beta-stable path for 4.1 there's certainly nothing wrong
with that.

> Thanks again for the clarification,

No problem.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Time for 4.1.32?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Bill,

Thanks for clarifying things. I read through
http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases but didn't find anything as
definitive and clear as your summary. I'll happily follow the process
you outlined for 4.1.32

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Time for 4.1.32?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Anytime a committer wants, they are absolutely free to tag the tree and tar the
> build.  But at that moment, it's a 'plain old tarball', it's not a release (even
> if there was a vote beforehand like this one.)

FYI - there's a reason for this.  Even if there are competing interests, nobody
can single handedly block another release, or even a small minority.  Putting
releases into user's hands is what the ASF is all about.  Good ones we hope :)

It might seem arcane, but this is based on the collective wisdom of the original
httpd group to ensure that when there are times that folks are generally being
disagreeable, at least the project cannot be frozen solid.  I'm glad the Tomcat
project is really working twords similar goals and we don't have any of that
hassle here; but it's good to keep using the same pattern so that even if there
were disagreements in the future, it's possible to keep the project flowing.

Oh - and this isn't the same as releasing vetoed code.  If you want to cut a
release, and someone's commit has a veto outstanding, simply tag the version
before the debated code was added.  Again not a problem here lately, and that's
a good thing.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Time for 4.1.32?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
I know I've said it before, and I know Roy would wig out - but I'm not wigging
out, just trying to educate :)  This wasn't a release vote, it was a poll.

It's always good to have a poll ("Should we try a beta now?") - you know that
nobody has something they needed another few days to work on.  Or maybe someone
goes ahead and commits some code they had in a checkout, that just needed a bit
more testing first.  That's cool :)

But the ASF votes on source code tarballs, we don't vote on trees, or the state
of trees, or the good of having more releases from a particular branch.

Anytime a committer wants, they are absolutely free to tag the tree and tar the
build.  But at that moment, it's a 'plain old tarball', it's not a release (even
if there was a vote beforehand like this one.)

Announce the tarball and ask for a release vote.  (To avoid confusion, I'd
really encourage the project to create an http://tomcat.apache.org/dev/dist/
location for such things - but those details are entirely up to you all.)

When the *tarball* has 3 +1's, more + than -, it's a release, an honest to
goodness release.  If you want to offer folks to vote on alpha/beta/ga that
is ok too.  [Acutally, 4.1 is so stable, I wonder if beta makes any sense
anymore, unless some refactoring introduced some new uncertainty.]

I keep rehashing this, because of my role on incubator.  If established projects
can't get it right - what hope have we for our podlings who are just learning.

So -do- cut the tarball, but please conduct a vote on the release image,
not on the state of svn.  It looks like you have lots of willing folks to vote
on that release :)

Thanks for stepping up to RM this, Mark!

Bill