Posted to users@maven.apache.org by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/14 09:33:30 UTC

upload POMs for non-free artifacts

Hello,

I've deployed some restricted libs to my corporate repository. Those libs
are for example Oracle JDBC driver or IBM MQSeries java client.
Can I make an upload request for such POMs in maven public repo ?
My goal is to avoid the "Sun jars hell" I got on maven1, where projects made
reference to the same artifact with various groupId.

Nico.

Re: upload POMs for non-free artifacts

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 14/12/06, nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've created MAVENUPLOAD-1273 for Oracle driver POMs.

Cheers for that, I was just looking these drivers myself.  I've added
10.2.0.2.0 versions to a new bundle on that issue.

Mark

Re: upload POMs for non-free artifacts

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 12/14/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12/14/06, nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've deployed some restricted libs to my corporate repository. Those libs
> > are for example Oracle JDBC driver or IBM MQSeries java client.
> > Can I make an upload request for such POMs in maven public repo ?
> > My goal is to avoid the "Sun jars hell" I got on maven1, where projects
> > made
> > reference to the same artifact with various groupId.
>

> What good is it to publish such poms in the public Maven repositories, if
> you cannot post the actual jar files they refer to?  And, it seems unlikely
> to me that you have the legal right to publish all of the jars referenced in
> your follow-up list.

Standarization, you may need to install by hand the jar, but everybody
can use the same groupId and artifactId. The point is try to avoid the
chaos that happened before with Sun jars when people using 5+ names to
refer to the same thing.

We are not going to publish the jars, I didn't get what do you mean
about legal rights.

> The right solution is to encourage the vendors of the stuff you need to
> publish their own software, with the group and artifact ids that *they*
> choose.  Trying to publish someone else's work, under an identifier that
> *you* choose, strikes me as an attempt at plagarism.

that'd be great, if there's any chance that they'll do that I will
hold and let them propose. We do that with Sun people given that they
are already involved.

I don't think we should publish poms for all commercial software in
the world, but if maven users request them and are willing to provide
poms with information and dependencies, we shouldn't stop them either

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.

Re: upload POMs for non-free artifacts

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
- do you also know the dependencies between them?
- you'd need to use three or more sections in groupIds (from package
names if possible). It's very unlikely that ibm only produce the mq
jars ;)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.