Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Lomses <lo...@yahoo.com> on 2001/04/05 04:53:57 UTC

More reference document about TDK

The document of TDK on Jakarta website is too brief for development,where
could i get  more detailed document?

Re: More reference document about TDK

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
"Ewan Makepeace" <ew...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Just my (no doubt irritating) 2cents, and to put my money where my mouth is
> I will try to crank out some sort of getting started document for you guys
> over the next week, just as soon as I have reverse engineered your app ;-)

I'm really looking forward to the enhanced documentation!  If you're
serious, I'm even willing to hand merge changes to the plain-text
displayed by your web browser the first couple times.

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

RE: More reference document about TDK

Posted by Ewan Makepeace <ew...@yahoo.com>.
Jon,

My unreserved apologies - I have been lurking on the Velocity list for some
months now and am well aware of the phenomenal effort being put in by the
active developers on that project (in particular you and geir). I guess a
project that is built on the unpaid and voluntary work of coders cannot be
too pushy about who has to do the tedious jobs? Maybe as a volunteer
documenter perhaps I am a rarity? ;-)

Will turn my ironic wit to the task at hand and stop irritating you guys,

Ewan

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Ewan Makepeace <ew...@yahoo.com>.
I'll say it again - doesn't it break your hearts to have such a huge (and
presumably excellent) body of code available, for free as Open Source, and
not have more users? Yet even the most basic getting started tasks require
'reverse engineering the initial app' and 'reading the javadocs'. OK good
code is self documenting but sheesh!

It wouldn't be so ironic if Turbine, (and especially Velocity) were not all
about empowering the intelligent display of information on the web - yet the
web sites for these projects are the worst sort of advertising...   ;-)
(oops - sorry, don't take this too seriously, and I know Apache is not some
billionaire dot com either, but surely a bit more thought on the
presentation of the whole apache.org website would be worth while?

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@e-point.pl>.

Posted by Ewan Makepeace <ew...@yahoo.com>.
I agree. I just downloaded the TDK and somehow managed to get it installed
and running (had to guess the username/password but eventually found it
tucked away on an unrelated webpage. Managed to pollute one of my existing
databases with a dozen turbine tables though...

All your hard work is going to waste because it is just TOO hard to evaluate
the turbine package. The web page entitled 'getting started' is not really
about that at all while the TDK help file hasn't been written.

Rather than complain all the time, I am willing to write some basic getting
started documentation if a) someone will advise where I should send/post it
and b) if some of you can give me some pointers on how to proceed beyond the
initial TDK app.

rgds
Ewan