Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/09 18:10:44 UTC

Re: Test strategy

I have completed items 1 and 3 of the test strategy outlined above.
With that we now have the geronimo-deployment-plugin in maven 2.

I have now begun working on item 2 which is to create a separate
itests sub-project that will act as a catchment of the itests from the
various modules. Now this is what we should look into - have the
itests subproject as a dependency of the Geronimo project, and include
the tests during the integration-phase of the lifecycle in G's build.
Yet keep it separate, and thus be able to run the itests against any
G's distribution binary separately. This would be the best of both
worlds. I'll investigate the possibility of doing so.

Jason, it is at this point that I have begun looking at TestNG. I have
some questions for you.
- Have you used it yourself ?
- How do you think it will fit into the picture I painted above where
the testsuites will be contributed by folks from the the various
modules ?
- Do they all have to use TestNG then ?

We need a framework that can perform system level tests 'coz that is
what itests are at this point.

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Test strategy

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Here's another thing we should look into considering sooner or later;
the maven-cargo-plugin. (http://cargo.codehaus.org).

It provides goals to start/stop various containers and deploy/undeploy
J2EE artifacts into those containers.

For now, it doesn't have a goal for Jetty 5.x container which we need
and it's Tomcat 5.5.x goal needs JDK 1.5 which don't have support yet.

But once we have these things squared away, this is something worth
considering for use in our itests.

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Test strategy

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Test strategy

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: Test strategy -- itests and default database

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Feb 21, 2006, at 9:15 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2006, at 5:28 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
>>
>>> True. The itests setup (infrastructure) which was broken by the move
>>> has been restored. Itests can now be   plugged in and run
>>> successfully. While some of the old itests pass successfully,
>>> some of
>>> them fail. The ones that fail are the ones that depended on the
>>> default-datasource.
>>>
>>> Around last Thu, I learnt from Dain (on the IRC)  that he'd be
>>> creating a new default datasource to get those tests to pass too. I
>>> don't know what the ETA on that is.
>>>

>> Dain, is that something you'd get to in the next week (guessing
>> not with the config changes)?
>
> Nope.  It got shelved with when I started the configId work.

Ok.  Good to know.

Thanks,

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Feb 21, 2006, at 5:28 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
>
>> True. The itests setup (infrastructure) which was broken by the move
>> has been restored. Itests can now be   plugged in and run
>> successfully. While some of the old itests pass successfully, some of
>> them fail. The ones that fail are the ones that depended on the
>> default-datasource.
>>
>> Around last Thu, I learnt from Dain (on the IRC)  that he'd be
>> creating a new default datasource to get those tests to pass too. I
>> don't know what the ETA on that is.
>>

> Dain, is that something you'd get to in the next week (guessing not
> with the config changes)?

Nope.  It got shelved with when I started the configId work.

-dain

Re: Test strategy -- itests and default database

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

No I didn't make a list of the ones that work and the ones that don't.
But now I will soon.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.