Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/23 11:38:30 UTC

Re: DiskFileItem at Apache Commons FileUpload 1.3.2

Hi,

the reference for Apache Commons (in general) and FileUpload (in
particular) is the Apache SVN repository, and not Github. Have a look
at [1], which is the source code of FileItem for 1.3.2. This release
is intended to be completely binary compatible to previous releases.
As a consequence, FileItem is still implementing Serializable in that
version. We removed the Serializable from the Trunk, which is intended
for future releases. Those future releases aren't necessarily binary
compatible.

Jochen

[1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/fileupload/tags/FILEUPLOAD_1_3_2/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileItem.java?revision=1745636&view=markup

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Kensuke Matsuzaki <kn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried commons-fileupload-1.3.2.jar, and same exploit works.
> I agree with that binary compatible is important, but also `rm /etc/foo` is
> important too.
> Isn't it possible to disable serialization of DiskFileItem by system
> property
> like commons-collections-3.2.2 ?

That's why we removed it for the 1.4 releases. The 1.3 releases are a
different matter. Btw, you are welcome to compile your own version
from the sources, and use that. No need to wait.

Jochen