Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org> on 2022/11/03 12:13:27 UTC

ASF Slack

Hi,

A while ago the Flink community decided to create a Slack workspace [1]. I
wonder, is there a particular reason why we created our own Slack workspace
and do not use the official ASF Slack [2]? It looks like most ASF projects
use the official Slack. Using the official Slack makes collaboration with
other projects easier but it also comes with additional benefits, e.g. free
unlimited history (our current workspace suffers from limited history).

Since the vote thread[1] mentioned a re-evaluation of the decision until
the end of 2022, I'd like to propose to move our channels to the official
ASF Slack workspace. In my eyes, the dedicated workspace is a bit of an
overkill and we're better off joining the rest of the ASF community. Let me
know what you think.

-Max

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/j2kdh3zx6rrb49mz5n2vb06g2knogxdj
[2] https://infra.apache.org/slack.html

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
I have to admit, I also (weakly) prefer a single workspace where possible.
It's easy to miss (or just not look at) the apache-flink workspace because
I didn't think of it.

The spam and spam account issues are probably inevitable for any slack
workspace as it grows, and we can probably reasonably expect to deal with
it in apache-flink as well if it grows significantly popular.  Have we seen
any spammy issues so far at 1362 members (as opposed to the-asf's 11433
members?)

All my best, Ryan

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Max,

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Austin Bennett <au...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Max,

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Hey Martijn, hi Chesnay,

>The big problem of using the ASF Slack instance is that users can join any
Slack channel, including ones outside of Flink.

That is one of the main motivations for proposing to move to the ASF Slack.
We can create an unlimited number of "flink-XY" channels in the ASF Slack,
although one or two are probably all we need. It seems logical that we
share the Slack workspace, just like the other infrastructure like JIRA,
mail, Jenkins, web server, etc. I guess I'm just in too many Slack
workspaces already.

From an ASF standpoint, I think it would be desirable to channel people

Re: ASF Slack

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.