Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com> on 2012/11/28 15:14:36 UTC

Replacing a hard drive on a slave

Hi,

can I remove one hard drive from a slave but tell Hadoop not to replicate
missing blocks for a few minutes, because I will return it back? Or will
this not work at all, and will Hadoop continue replicating, since I removed
blocks, even for a short time?

Thank you. Sincerely,
Mark

Re: Replacing a hard drive on a slave

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
Thank you.

Mark

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
I think we kind of talked about this on one of the linkedIn discussion groups.  Either Hard Core Hadoop, or Big Data Low Latency.

What I heard from guys who manage very, very large clusters is that they don't replace the disks right away.  In my own experience, you lose the drive late at night, you may or may not get the alert. (disk fails could go in to the 'morning report' bucket and not wake you up at 3:00 am bucket.)  So they may end up create a work ticket to get the disk replaced.

The disk gets replaced, then someone in IS formats it and brings it up online. Then your hadoop admin creates the correct folders/permissions and bounces the DN so your Hadoop cluster can see it. (Unless a newer release makes it easier to do this...)

The whole point of 3X replication is that you don't have to run around and worry about under replicated blocks and lost disks.

I always liked the idea of someone running around with a little shopping cart, you know the one with two bins, one w new drives and one for the bad drives.... doing their daily walk in the machine room...

HTH

-Mike

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
When added back, with blocks retained, the NN would detect that the
affected files have over-replicated conditions, and will suitably
delete any excess replicas while still adhering to the block placement
policy (for rack-aware clusters), but not necessarily everything from
the re-added DN will be erased.

This is an automatic process and should not worry you in any way, as
an operator.

--
Harsh J

Re: Replacing a hard drive on a slave