Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by "Nanney, Ryan (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <Ry...@ge.com> on 2021/02/17 17:30:19 UTC

RDP Performance Advice

Hello everyone!

I am looking for some advice as I have been investigating ways to improve user experience for our folks, we recently received a report of lag in a certain use-case.

I have spun up my own test environment, replicating what is in the field (additional details below).  Essentially what I am experiencing is the more that is changing on the screen, the higher the CPU load is on the guacd process.  Once we see the guacd process's CPU hit 100%, the experience degrades significantly (no surprise there, something has to give...)  Basically what the user is doing, is working with medical imaging to inspect the anatomy in a three dimensional viewport which takes up about 40% of the screen (1920x1080).  The user has the ability to turn on animation for this viewport and that is when the "lag" quite noticeable.  The user has a crosshair that can be rotated and dragged around the image, which becomes really difficult to use.

Here's a bit of environmental detail to convey the test I am currently conducting, to recreate the issue that was reported to me:

  *   The Guacamole Guest/VM:
     *   is running Debian 10 OS
     *   is running inside a KVM backed virtual environment
     *   has four CPU cores with a 2.1GHz clock speed
     *   has 2GB RAM
     *   is using NGINX as a reverse proxy for TLS support
  *   The Windows Guest/VM:
     *   is running Windows Server 2019
     *   is in the same Host as the Guacamole Guest VM
     *   is backed by a Tesla T4 GPU with Nvidia GRID drivers installed
     *   has 8vCPU at 2.1GHz
     *   has 64GB RAM

What I've read so far is that guacd is doing some encoding which is why the CPU resource is being used up.  So, I'm wondering what options may be available to try and smooth this out, if any?

I have tried to make some changes to the RDP configuration ( H264, compression levels, etc...), remove NGINX and go with port 8080 directly and also to consume Guacamole from within the Host itself by adding a third guest (remove any potential LAN issues).  Anyways, I appreciate any feedback, ideas or can provide more details if needed!

Thanks very much,
Ryan

Re: RDP Performance Advice

Posted by sciUser <sh...@securitycentric.net>.
Tell us about your Guacamole system specifications?

How many CPUS
How much RAM allocated
How many network cards

Did you install the hypervisor tools on the guest VMs

What are the specs on your host server (Dell, HP, Microserver)
Number of sockets, cores and threads
How much Ram installed at what speeds
What raid level are you running on the server
Are the server hard drives SSD or Spindle, if spindle what RPMs

What Virtualization technology are using at what version level.  (RedHat
KVM, Debian Qemu, VMware ESXi, Azure aka Hyper-v or Xenserver/Xendesktop aka
Hypervisor)

And why are you allocating so much ram to the Windows VM?  Adjust the paging
file system to static values to 8G (this will stop crazy disk seek) and use
16G of ram for any type of rendering, you have a nice graphics card to
handle the load.

Read the known issues
https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/10.0/grid-vgpu-release-notes-generic-linux-kvm/index.html

Look forward to your reply

Thank You

-----
A Cybersecurity Enablement Company
We don't just run you through the motions, Our labs teach you how to think!
Known good Guacamole  installations