Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Gosselin, Michael" <Mi...@AthenaDiagnostics.com> on 2006/04/06 22:14:02 UTC

Still struggling with document(), formatting

All,

I've been talking to folks on the xsl Mulberry list and people here.  I'm
still struggling getting reports to work.

When I use the original xsl (PrintFormat.xsl) file with fop (on a Unix
machine, and how do I determine the version?), I get some errors, but I get
an output file.  Here's the output:

	AthenaV> fop.sh -xml 06000003_TEST,HOLD_640.xml -xsl PrintFormat.xsl
-pdf testOutput.pdf
	[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
	[INFO] FOP 0.20.5
	[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
	[INFO] building formatting object tree
	[INFO] setting up fonts
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: CSection (Namespace:
urn:Correlagen:RightReport). Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Expected XSL-FO (root, page-sequence, etc.), SVG (svg, rect,
etc.) or elements from another supported language.
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: Content (Namespace:
urn:Correlagen:RightReport). Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: div (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: img (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: br (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: span (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: table (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: tr (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: td (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: i (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[ERROR] Unsupported element encountered: b (Namespace: default).
Source context: unavailable
	[INFO] [1]
	[ERROR] no handler defined for urn:Correlagen:RightReport:CSection
foreign xml
	[WARNING] Sum of fixed column widths 396850 greater than maximum
specified IPD 283464
	[ERROR] Error while creating area : Error while recovering Image
Informations (file:/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/WilliamSeltzer.gif
<file:/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/WilliamSeltzer.gif> ) :
/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/WilliamSeltzer.gif (No such file or directory)
	[ERROR] Error while creating area : Error while recovering Image
Informations (file:/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/DevBatish.gif
<file:/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/DevBatish.gif> ) :
/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/DevBatish.gif (No such file or directory)
	[ERROR] Error while creating area : Error while recovering Image
Informations (file:/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/NarasimhanNagan.gif
<file:/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/NarasimhanNagan.gif> ) :
/home/c/fop/fop-0.20.5/images/NarasimhanNagan.gif (No such file or
directory)
	[INFO] [2]
	[ERROR] no handler defined for urn:Correlagen:RightReport:CSection
foreign xml
	[INFO] [3]
	[ERROR] At least one of minimum, optimum, or maximum IPD must be
specified on table.
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[INFO] area contents overflows area in line
	[ERROR] no handler defined for urn:Correlagen:RightReport:CSection
foreign xml
	[INFO] [4]
[...]
	[INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer

However, when I try to make edits, including the use of document(), I seem
to be screwing up to the point I get fatal exceptions, formatting issues,
and who knows what else.

	AthenaV> fop,sh -xml 06000003_TEST,HOLD_640.xml -xsl
AthenaFormat.xsl -pdf testbeta.pdf
[...]
	[ERROR] Error in column-width property value '3.46cm
': org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined
	[ERROR] Error in column-width property value '3.46cm
': org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined
	[ERROR] Error in column-width property value '3.46cm
': org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined
	[ERROR] Error in column-width property value '3.46cm
': org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined
	[ERROR] Error in column-width property value '3.46cm
': org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined
	[INFO] [1]
	[INFO] [1]
	[ERROR] no handler defined for urn:Correlagen:RightReport:CSection
foreign xml
	[ERROR] At least one of minimum, optimum, or maximum IPD must be
specified on table.
	[ERROR] java.lang.ClassCastException

I've attached the files used in this processing.  Please, anything you can
tell me to get this figured out would be greatly appreciated!!

 <<06000003_TEST,HOLD_640.xml>>  <<ClientInfo.xml>>  <<AthenaFormat.xsl>>
<<PrintFormat.xsl>>

Michael Gosselin
Athena Diagnostics, Inc.
(508) 756-2886 x3708
(800) 394-4493 x3708

Re: Still struggling with document(), formatting

Posted by Johannes Küpnsebeck <hn...@gmx.de>.
Hi Michael,
the PrintFormat.xsl is buggy, too, it creates html and rr namespaced
elements, one example:

<xsl:copy-of select="//rr:CPatFile/rr:CSection[@sectionID='header']"/>

This means "copy all elements directly to the fo output", including html
and rr elements.

I think you're doing two jobs at once with the stylesheet: information
retrieval and formatting.
Maybe its easier to split this: make one stylesheet that extracts all
information from the xml (and  merge it with the ClientInfo.xml via
document() ) and writes it as a simpler xml-file in your own
intermediate format, then write a stylesheet that does only the
fop-stuff of the intermediate file.
It's probably more work, but it IMHO it's eaysier to handle.

If the html-stuff should be directly translated to fo, have a look at
the html to fo conversion guide at
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xslfo2app/
it can save you a lot of work.

good luck, Johannes

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Friday 07 April 2006 04:14, Gosselin, Michael wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been talking to folks on the xsl Mulberry list and people here.
> I'm still struggling getting reports to work.
>
> When I use the original xsl (PrintFormat.xsl) file with fop (on a
> Unix machine, and how do I determine the version?), I get some
> errors, but I get an output file.  Here's the output:

Michael,

you see the FOP version below: '[INFO] FOP 0.20.5'.

It appear your xslt conversion doesn't produce a valid xsl-fo file, e.g
you seem to give html tags like <div, <tr, ... to FOP which FOP of
course doesn't understand.  How about you just run the stylesheet
conversion on its own, e.g. use xalan from the command line to convert
your xml file into an xsl-fo file and then check if the output is valid
xsl-fo? At this point in time I think your problems have very little to
do with FOP itself.

Manuel

Posted by Libeg <li...@hm.com>.
Hi, thanks for the code check, Im pretty new to the xslt world.
Sorry I mean FOP.bat, from Apache. Otherwise I use Altova XMLSpy.

Re: Still struggling with document(), formatting

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Libeg wrote:
> Hi,
> I have exactly the same problem. Im using Apache FOP.exe , trying to list an
> XML file in my xsl doc.
>  I do :
> I declare a variable, using document() to read another XML file. Then:
>
>  <xsl:for-each select="$SourceMetadata/*">
>    <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
>    <xsl:copy>
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()"/>
>   </xsl:copy>
> </xsl:template>
> </for-each>
>
> And I get an error message exactly like yours.

The code above is not valid XSLT, you can't nest a xsl:template
statement in a xsl:for-each. The transformation shouldn't run.

Where did you get a FOP.exe? The ASF doesn't provide such a thing.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Still struggling with document(), formatting

Posted by Libeg <li...@hm.com>.
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. Im using Apache FOP.exe , trying to list an
XML file in my xsl doc.
 I do :
I declare a variable, using document() to read another XML file. Then:

 <xsl:for-each select="$SourceMetadata/*">
   <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
   <xsl:copy>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>
</for-each>

And I get an error message exactly like yours. It must be related to
namespaces? I dont have a namespace specified in my XML. If i add the
correct namespace, I get no result back at all. Have you tried to laborate
with namespaces?

Lisa