Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de on 2003/12/03 11:05:30 UTC

FYI: JVM Daemon

http://www.cafeaulait.org/#news2003December2
Mark Lindner has posted the Jolt JVM Daemon 0.3 [1], a wrapper program for
Linux and Solaris that enables multiple invocations of java, javac, javadoc,
and jar to reuse the same virtual machine for faster startup. Given the
problems caused already by classpath and clasl loader issues, and the number
of times I've had to specify fork="true" in my ant build files to make
everything work, I'm not sure this is such a good idea.

[1] http://www2.dystance.net:8080/software/jolt/

http://www2.dystance.net:8080/software/jolt/
Overview
jolt is a Java Virtual Machine Daemon. This program provides a way to invoke
the JDK tools javac, javadoc, and jar from the command line while reusing
the same JVM instance across invocations. It is intended primarily for use
as a helper tool to make compilation of Java code with make as fast as (and
perhaps faster than) with Jakarta Ant.

Documentation
Documentation is included in the distribution in the form of a manpage. Here
is a link to the documentation in PDF [1] and PS [2] form.

Download
Download [3] Jolt now! (Approximately 100K) Source code and full
documentation is included.

[1] http://www2.dystance.net:8080/software/jolt/jolt.pdf
[2] http://www2.dystance.net:8080/software/jolt/jolt.ps
[3] http://www2.dystance.net:8080/software/jolt/jolt-0.4.tar.gz