Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rodrigo Testillano <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/12 12:31:33 UTC

It's possible up and debug solr in eclipse IDE?

I need debug my custom processor (updateRequestProcessor)  in my Eclipse
IDE. With old Solr version was possible, but with the solr like a service
with jetty i don't know if exists some way to do
--
Un Saludo.

Rodrigo Testillano Tordesillas.

Re: It's possible up and debug solr in eclipse IDE?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/14/2016 5:24 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> That exception, especially given the lack of an error message, is very
> unhelpful.  The average person wouldn't be able to deduce that it was a
> config problem.
>
> Perhaps the code in QParser that threw the NPE needs a null check,
> logging/throwing a useful error when it is tripped.

Based on the information I currently have, I tested this patch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5rkrqm813986ha/QParser.java.patch?dl=0

This seems to work.  Here's a response with the patch, where you can see
the query I tried:|

{
  "responseHeader": {
    "status": 400,
    "QTime": 3,
    "params": {
      "q": "{!flonk}horse",
      "indent": "true",
      "wt": "json",
      "_": "1452841255470"
    }
  },
  "error": {
    "msg": "org.apache.solr.search.SyntaxError: Error getting
QParserPlugin.  Likely cause: the specified query parser 'flonk' may not
exist.",
    "code": 400
  }
}

The same thing happens with defType=flonk instead of the localparam.

I chose SyntaxError because that was already in the method signature,
and seems to describe the error reasonably well.  Would another
exception be better?

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: It's possible up and debug solr in eclipse IDE?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/14/2016 3:55 AM, Vincenzo D'Amore wrote:
> Few days ago I had a nullpointer exception with solr 5.4.0 few days ago.
>
> This was the exception.
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException at
> org.apache.solr.search.QParser.getParser(QParser.java:315) at
> org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent.prepare(QueryComponent.java:159)
<snip>
> Well, maybe I took the longest way, but having the ability to debug the
> running application pointed exactly the problem.
>
> I had a misstyped defType in solrconfig.xml

That exception, especially given the lack of an error message, is very
unhelpful.  The average person wouldn't be able to deduce that it was a
config problem.

Perhaps the code in QParser that threw the NPE needs a null check,
logging/throwing a useful error when it is tripped.

What exactly did your solrconfig.xml have that was incorrect?

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: It's possible up and debug solr in eclipse IDE?

Posted by Vincenzo D'Amore <v....@gmail.com>.
Few days ago I had a nullpointer exception with solr 5.4.0 few days ago.

This was the exception.

java.lang.NullPointerException at
org.apache.solr.search.QParser.getParser(QParser.java:315) at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent.prepare(QueryComponent.java:159)
at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(SearchHandler.java:254)
at
org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:156)
at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:2073) at
org.apache.solr.servlet.HttpSolrCall.execute(HttpSolrCall.java:658) at
org.apache.solr.servlet.HttpSolrCall.call(HttpSolrCall.java:457) at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:222)
at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:181)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:585)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:577)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:223)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1127)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:515)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1061)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:215)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:110)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:499) at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:310) at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:540)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635)
at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Well, maybe I took the longest way, but having the ability to debug the
running application pointed exactly the problem.

I had a misstyped defType in solrconfig.xml

--
Vincenzo D'Amore
email: v.damore@gmail.com

Re: It's possible up and debug solr in eclipse IDE?

Posted by "Ramkumar R. Aiyengar" <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincenzo D'Amore <v....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Testillano <ro...@gmail.com>.