Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2009/06/28 17:22:59 UTC

why not shut down ofbiz

when the DB is not able to be connected to?
[ DatabaseUtil.java:1059:ERROR] Unable to establish a connection with
the database... Error was:java.sql.SQLException: Unable to acquire a new
connection from the pool

is there a reason not to shut down ofbiz at this point?

--
BJ Freeman
http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation

Re: why not shut down ofbiz

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
If that error shows up a few times and goes away then it just means
the server is busy (or that you haven't configured a big enough
connection pool to handle the HTTP request thread pool size).

If that error shows up for all requests and no user can get in, then
it probably means your connection pool is full of stale connections.
You can look at the connection list for your database to verify this.
This shouldn't happen much in newer versions of OFBiz using DBCP, and
was more of a problem with the old Minerva stuff.

-David

Re: why not shut down ofbiz

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Well, no, it might be a good reason to shut it down, but you still
don't have enough details to say for sure. If it can't connect at all
on startup there are 2 likely reasons:

1. the database is not running or there is a firewall or other network
issue preventing access
2. the database setup in OFBiz is incorrect

If the problem is #1 then shutting down OFBiz won't do any good,
unless you want to keep people from accessing the site while you fix it.

If the problem is #2 then you absolutely need to shut down and restart
OFBiz after making the configuration corrections.

-David

Re: why not shut down ofbiz

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
My thought was that if ofbiz can not connect permanently there is no
reason to have ofbiz running. users will get all sorts of errors
starting at login.
so just have ofbiz shut down.
That way the ajp will give the 503 error.

David E Jones sent the following on 6/28/2009 9:00 AM:

Re: why not shut down ofbiz

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.