Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Alexander Bezzubov <ab...@nflabs.com> on 2013/12/24 00:39:26 UTC

How to run and debug ambari-server on local machine

Dear ambari developers,

could you give me a hand - is there any way i can run/debug ambari-server
after the build on my local machne without actually installing resulting
RPM? I.e you need to test/debug new features added to server module.
Instuctions from 2011 on this list about ambari-controller/client seems
like obsolete one.

And what do you use as a development environment for that?

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

Re: How to run and debug ambari-server on local machine

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
I do not believe anyone has looked into docker or similar techniques. If
you investigate, feel free to post your findings and we can add it on the
wiki for other developers.

I will let other developers reply if they have any script or steps to run
ambari-server on the dev machine.

thanks
-Sumit

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How to run and debug ambari-server on local machine

Posted by Alexander Bezzubov <ab...@nflabs.com>.
Thanks a lot,

by dev environment i meant something exactly like that, possibly
virtualized that can be run on the single machine.

Two more specific questions on the same subject:
 1) is there any effort done already to see how amabri dev process can
benefit from new virtualization techniques i.e docker?
 2) what is the best way to run actual HTTP ambir-server and test it on a
local machine
     i added CROS headers support and would like to test it, which means
checking every response header returned by actual server

Thanks again,
Alex.

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Depending on what you want to test you can use the unit tests to debug it.
> I have seen developers use both Eclipse and Intellij for running unit
> tests and debugging.
> However, a number of features do require interaction with the agents.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Quick+Start+Guide
> describes how you can use Vagrant to manage VMs and use the VMs to run
> tests.
>

> -Sumit
>
> On 12/23/13 3:39 PM, "Alexander Bezzubov" <ab...@nflabs.com> wrote:
>
> >Dear ambari developers,
> >
> >could you give me a hand - is there any way i can run/debug ambari-server
> >after the build on my local machne without actually installing resulting
> >RPM? I.e you need to test/debug new features added to server module.
> >Instuctions from 2011 on this list about ambari-controller/client seems
> >like obsolete one.
> >
> >And what do you use as a development environment for that?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Alex.
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Kind regards,
Alexander.

Re: How to run and debug ambari-server on local machine

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE