Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Ellis Teer <el...@sitepen.com> on 2002/08/13 06:05:37 UTC

new enhanced MM.MySQL driver and license

This new version is GPL instead of LGPL.  I am not sure yet how enhanced
it is or if you can use it to connect to other databases but I thought I
would mention it.

--

LINUXWORLD EXPO - (August 13, 2002) - MySQL AB, developer of the world's
most popular Open Source database, today announced that it has added a

"Mark Matthews has joined the MySQL team and has brought with him an
extremely valuable technology that we are proud to offer as an official
MySQL API," said David Axmark, MySQL co-founder and vice president of
Open Source relations. "Drivers have a huge impact on performance, and
with MySQL Connector/J, Java developers have a solution that will take
the built-for-speed MySQL database to new performance highs."

--

http://www.mysql.com/press/release_2002_08.html

--
Ellis Teer
www.sitepen.com

RE: new enhanced MM.MySQL driver and license

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Correction..

 MySQL Connector/J 2.0.14 is a repackaged MM.MySQL-2.0.14 (LGPL)
 MySQL Connector/J 3.0.0 is quite a bit of new code and refactoring (GPL)

RE: new enhanced MM.MySQL driver and license

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
FYI according to Mark the MySQL version "is really just a re-packaged
mm.mysql-2.0.14, which is still under LGPL."

d.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org> wrote:

>> But I'm kind of scared by bundling it with our code, or sticking it up in
>> CVS. Historically, we never allowed that....
>
> Really.. its been in James CVS since before I came, and when I removed it,
> because of the licence & jars in cvs issues, there was a clamour to have it
> put back, Mark even contacted me to say that he chose the LGPL because it
> allowed precisely that kind of usage.
>
> Damn I hate all this.

Blame it on RMS... He's the one saying that GPL is incompatible with the
Apache license...

    Pier

RE: new enhanced MM.MySQL driver and license

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org> wrote:

> This (below) seems to summarise the important changes, but I wonder whats
> going to happen to mm.mysql since the LGPL is (I understand) acceptable for
> bundling with the ASFL, certainly Mark Matthews told me that it was his
> intention not to prevent Jakarta projects from bundling mm.mysql, but GPL
> isn't (I think) for uncertain legal reasons.

"technically" we're not linking to it, but distributing it as a convenience
when you use MySQL... You never use "import org.gjt.mysql.Driver" (not sure
about the class name, too much time since I started using Oracle), but
rather instantiate it with a class.forName, so that it gets registered, and
most of the times the class name just resides in a configuration file,
soooo... I think that technically it is still possible to have code
"relying" on MySQL and its JDBC driver, without "requiring" a link to it...

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
This (below) seems to summarise the important changes, but I wonder whats
going to happen to mm.mysql since the LGPL is (I understand) acceptable for
bundling with the ASFL, certainly Mark Matthews told me that it was his
intention not to prevent Jakarta projects from bundling mm.mysql, but GPL
isn't (I think) for uncertain legal reasons.

"The driver is now 50-100 percent faster in most situations than the
previous version. It also creates fewer transient objects than before,
leading to better performance and even more stability. The driver now also
supports "streaming" result sets, which allows users to retrieve large
numbers of rows without using a large memory buffer. With newly added
large-packet protocol support, the driver can send rows and BLOBs up to 2
gigabytes in size.

New features from the JDBC-3.0 API in MySQL Connector/J include
getGeneratedKeys which allows users to retrieve auto-increment fields in a
non-database-specific way. Auto-increment fields now work with
object-relational mapping tools "

d.