Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2015/07/09 20:42:31 UTC

Moving Apache Extras

Hiya folks,

I'm the "lucky person" in charge of moving the some 350 projects from
Google Code to SourceForge.
This will happen over the course of next week, save some freak accident
occurs, however, SourceForge is not Google Code, and as such, there are
a few things we need to consider:

- I will create an admin account that will initially own all the
imported projects. This can/will be shared with the ComDev PMC.
- Someone (not me!!) will have to step up and help out with delegating
read/write access to the new repos on SourceForge.
- Preferably, someone will have to go through the giant list of
projects, and select those we'll import. This is not strictly necessary,
but if someone volunteers for this, that'd be super duper.

The most important thing is that we are able to delegate write access to
the devs (and do so!), so this does not simply become a big data dump
that just sits there. If any of you are interested in taking on that
task (preferably more than one person), please do speak up :)

With regards,
Daniel.

Fwd: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
FYI. Pivot-Extras will be moving to SourceForge in a couple of days. We will need to get our accounts moved over in order to get admin access again. I am tracking this.

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 07/13/2015 03:21 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Most (if not all) are managed by members of the PMCs. Though you make a very good point. The assumption that all of them are PMC managed is quite possibly flawed.

My experience is primarily from the other side - when I worked at SF,
and tried to contact projects that seemed, to me, to be related to ASF
projects, I was almost without exception told that they were not
affiliated in any way.

This was about 3 years ago.

--Rich

RE: Moving Apache Extras

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com - @rbowen http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

RE: Moving Apache Extras

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

RE: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
When the time comes please make the request through whatever channel is needed. We won't remember requests coming in right now.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Definitely need admin rights to the new Pivot-Extras for the Pivot PMC.

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb
Apache Pivot PMC Chair

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.

RE: Moving Apache Extras

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Okay, that's fine. Thanks. I'm sure I can find stuff in the archives.
I just wasn't sure what the final reasoning was. NBD.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

RE: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

A number of apache-extras projects are "reserved names" that PMCs registered
before the service was publicly announced.

(For reference: see a mail to PMCs of 12 Nov 2010 in archives of
community-private)

If one tries to access those names, they are redirected to official
pages at apache .org.

For example,
[1] https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/tomcat

Are those names currently being migrated?

As far as I see, those projects are not listed when I click on
"Tomcat" label at front page [2], so it is hard to find them, but if I
search by name (type "Tomcat" in the search box at [2] and press
Enter), they are listed.

Technically, my Google account is the owner of projects registered by
Apache Tomcat PMC.

[2] https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Fwd: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
FYI. Now it looks like we will have to do the move of Pivot-Extras to SF ourselves. Waiting for instructions.

~Roger Whitcomb

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 7/13/15 4:23 PM, jan i wrote:
> On Monday, July 13, 2015, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

>> On 07/13/2015 04:00 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> Apache-extras is a service managed by ComDev. Though we never provided
>>> any commitment to support it.
>>>
>>> However, many extras (most?) are used by  ASF PMCs and they need a
>>> solution to the fact that Google Code is closing down. We are doing this
>>> with infra resources for that reason (as a director you've seen the
>>> repeated requests from some PMCs to find a resolution, you've also seen the
>>>
>>> It's easier for Infra to move all projects rather than some projects.
>>> Hence the current approach. Though you are correct, as noted on a different
>>> thread, that the assumption all projects on extras belong to PMCs is likely
>>> flawed. Unfortunately there is no easy way of identifying which are PMC
>>> owned and which are not.
>>>
>>> So here's an alternative approach. We (ComDev) send out a mail to PMCs
>>> indicating that they need to great a ComDev issue if they want their
>>> project moving. If they don't sign up they don't get moved.
>>>
>>> We (ComDev) provide infra with a reduced list of projects to move and
>>> they run the scripts for those projects.
>>>

>> I think I must have been watching all of these conversations (I know it's
>> been going for more than a year) with a certain understanding that we were
>> going to push everything onto volunteer labor rather than Infra. So, mea
>> culpa for not paying close enough attention. Yes, I know that this has been
>> discussed for *ages*.
>>
>> I figured that what we, the ASF, were doing for these projects was
>> negotiating with SF for the service/resources/whatever, not doing the
>> actual migration. I figured either the projects themselves would do that
>> work, or Roberto and his team at SF would do it.
>
> that was my understanding as well. AOO moved a while ago.
>
> We should notify the PMCs how to move, and leave the rest to volunteer time.

Migrating a project is pretty much all automated on the SourceForge / Allura
importer side.  Individuals can even migrate Apache Extra projects on their own
if they wanted to.  It's all part of the Google Code importer at
https://sourceforge.net/p/import_project/google-code/

Scripting up to do bulk migration (instead of one-by-one) would take some work.
 My impression is that Daniel has done that already.

Communicating with project communities seems to be the inherently hard part of
this task.  But that has to happen no matter what, right?  So if there's little
difference in workload, I think it'd be better if we do migrate all non-empty
projects (rather than make projects do it).  That way no projects are left
behind and disappear from the internet.

Followup work could be tasked to the individual projects to handle.  This would
include moving Google Code landing page content into either a description or
wiki page.  And setting up the redirect info on the Google Code project.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 7/14/15 2:54 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 13/07/2015 jan i wrote:
>> that was my understanding as well. AOO moved a while ago.
>
> OpenOffice hasn't properly moved, and actually we need to get this done by the
> next release. The current URL is "temporary" as "oooextras.mirror" does not make
> sense (it is not a mirror) and it was meant to become part of the new Apache
> Extras and possibly renamed. But yes, if nothing happens we can still keep
> "oooextras.mirror" (or similar name; can't check now) which is already under
> control of the PMC.

With my SourceForge hat on, you can request a rename to get rid of the ".mirror"
part.  And a redirect from sf.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/ to
sf.net/projects/oooextras/ may be possible if needed.  You can contact support
via https://sourceforge.net/support (report a support ticket)

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 13/07/2015 jan i wrote:
> that was my understanding as well. AOO moved a while ago.

OpenOffice hasn't properly moved, and actually we need to get this done
by the next release. The current URL is "temporary" as
"oooextras.mirror" does not make sense (it is not a mirror) and it was
meant to become part of the new Apache Extras and possibly renamed. But
yes, if nothing happens we can still keep "oooextras.mirror" (or similar
name; can't check now) which is already under control of the PMC.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Moving Apache Extras

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.