Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/06 16:16:16 UTC

Excluding all transitive dependencies

The doc describes:

          <exclusions>
             <exclusion>
                <groupId>*</groupId>
                <artifactId>*</artifactId>
              </exclusion>
          <exclusions>

is supposed to work to exclude all transitive dependencies.

In fact, I think I've seen it work. However, today, with Maven 3.3.9,
it seems to be having no effect with the declaration below. Can anyone
suggest a way to explain/fix/repair?

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.servicemix.bundles</groupId>
            <artifactId>org.apache.servicemix.bundles.aws-java-sdk</artifactId>
            <version>1.10.52_1</version>
            <exclusions>
              <exclusion>
                <groupId>*</groupId>
                <artifactId>*</artifactId>
              </exclusion>
            </exclusions>
        </dependency>

Re: Excluding all transitive dependencies

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2016, at 4:16, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
>> In fact, I think I've seen it work. However, today, with Maven 3.3.9,
>> it seems to be having no effect with the declaration below. Can anyone
>> suggest a way to explain/fix/repair?
>
> That appears to work for me in 3.3.9/3.4.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> No other dependencies pulling them in?

I think it must have been that. The confusing situation seems to have been:

Dependency (a) is top-level. It is also a transitive dependency of
(b). Under (a), I declare the exclusion */*. However, the path from
(b) causes all the transitive dependencies of (a) to reappear in
dependency:tree under the top-level description of (a),  not under
b/a.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.