Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2011/03/07 11:18:09 UTC

[GSOC] Please review Application

Hi there,

For the Co-Admins:
 *  I need your Id's to add it to the  Application

For the "last Admins":
 * Do we have some stats about how many students pass last year etc ?

I prepared this for GSOC. Please review and add comments.

Organization Name:

The Apache Software Foundation

The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and financial
support for a broad range of open source software projects. The Foundation
provides an established framework for intellectual property and financial
contributions that simultaneously limits contributors potential legal
exposure. Through a collaborative and meritocratic development process,
Apache projects deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products
that attract large communities of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes
it easy for all users, commercial and individual, to deploy Apache products.

Home page:

www.apache.org

Main License:

ASL2

Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2011? What do you
hope to gain by participating?

The Apache Software Foundation hope to help students to get in touch with
Opensource. Beside this we try to teach them how to develop and communicate
in a multi-culture organisation. All this will help them to get some
"real-world" expirience which will hopefully help them later in their
career.

If accepted, would this be your first year participating in GSoC?

No

Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please summarize
your involvement and the successes and challenges of your participation.

The ASF participate in many GSoCs yet. We had many success within the last
years. Many "prior" Students are now part of the community (committers) or
even part of the PMC.  So the GSoC helped us (and our projects) to grew and
to build a better community around various projects.

If your organization participated in past GSoCs, please let us know the
ratio of students passing to students allocated, e.g. 2006: 3/6 for 3 out of
6 students passed in 2006.

.... (To be added)

What is the URL for your ideas page?

http://s.apache.org/gsoc2011tasks

What is the main development mailing list for your organization? This
question will be shown to students who would like to get more information
about applying to your organization for GSoC 2011. If your organization uses
more than one list, please make sure to include a description of the list so
students know which to use.

No central list, see the lists of Apache projects at http://www.apache.org/and
http://incubator.apache.org/

What is the main IRC channel for your organization?

No central irc channel. Channels are managed by the specific project (if the
project has a channel at all)

Does your organization have an application template you would like to see
students use? If so, please provide it now. Please note that it is a very
good idea to ask students to provide you with their contact information as
part of your template. Their contact details will not be shared with you
automatically via the GSoC 2011 site.

No

What criteria did you use to select the individuals who will act as mentors
for your organization? Please be as specific as possible.

The Apache Software Foundation uses the Meritocracy principle to recognize
community contributors which are voted by other community members to receive
"committer karma" for a given project. These committers will be able to
propose ideas and volunteer as mentors for the selected project ideas.

As for Administrators, we are using a set 4 admins/co-admins.

What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?

We will try to filter on them in the select process and do our best to
"detect" this as soon as possible. Beside this each project/mentor will keep
an eye on this

What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?

Considering the ASF is a foundation, not a single project, we the admins
would ask for the project PMC to indicate a substitute mentor or provide
co-mentors for the selected projects.

What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
project's community before, during and after the program?

We try to treat the students like a part of the community and try to assist
them. This way they feel like be a part of the ASF. This helps to keep them
motivated.

If you are a large organization who is vouching for a small organization
applying to GSoC for their first time this year, please list their name and
why you think they'd be good candidates for GSoC here:

Simal:
 - A project registry using DOAP for data harvesting and sharing
 - http://simal.googlecode.com

Saros:
 - Distributed Collaborative Editing and Distributed Party Programming
 - http://www.saros-project.org/

Backup Admin (Link ID):

Uli ... ( More to be added)

Thanks,
Norman

Re: [GSOC] Please review Application

Posted by Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:

> If your organization participated in past GSoCs, please let us know the
> ratio of students passing to students allocated, e.g. 2006: 3/6 for 3 out of
> 6 students passed in 2006.

2010: 39/44

Re: [GSOC] Please review Application

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> For the Co-Admins:
>  *  I need your Id's to add it to the  Application

<snip/>

Its my initials: ra

-Rahul

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Here's the Saros text:

Saros provides a way for distributed developers to work together in real-time over the Internet and
includes additional features supporting "distributed party programming", a looser type of
collaboration. Saros is considered useful for virtual communities (as typically found in open source
projects) in a number of distinct development scenarios, including: pair programming, code
reviewing, coaching and side-by-side programming.

Uli

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 07/03/2011 15:07, Ulrich Stärk wrote:

>> That link says "The selected filter with id '12315354' does not exist.
>>
>> If you think this message is wrong, please consult your administrators about getting the necessary
>> permissions. "
>>
>> I'm logged in with my JIRA user
>>

> I forgot to share the filter with "Everyone". Can you try again?

Looks good.

Ross

Re: [GSOC] Please review Application

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

--
rgardler@apache.org
@rgardler

Re: [GSOC] Please review Application

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Comments inline.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
In the past I've always sent one out in advance telling people what will happen. I've never encouraged people to put effort in until accepted.

Sent from my mobile device.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
In the past I've always limited announcements to PMCs (and incubator mentors). I believe we need PMC support for all proposals. Going to committers@ might result in individuals with minimal PMC support.

Sent from my mobile device.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Re: Admins we need an announcement to PMCs (Re: [GSOC] Please review Application)

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Thanks Uli :)

Bye,
Norman

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Already at it.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.
Hama team don't think to apply independently, we opened an issues on COM-DEV.

If there's some miss, please let me know!

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi there,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Admins,

--
rgardler@apache.org
@rgardler

Re: [GSOC] [V2] Please review Application

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 3/11/2011 5:12 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 08:36, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>> I just amended the application, correcting some typos and formulations.
>
> Thanks for getting our application in.

And for sending out the pmc notice!  We are up to a much healthier 31
ideas with the gsoc2011 label [1]. I think that will make a big
difference on the application to have lots of ideas from lots of projects.

Kathey

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?jqlQuery=labels+%3D+gsoc2011&tempMax=1000

Re: [GSOC] [V2] Please review Application

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
I just amended the application, correcting some typos and formulations.

I added another project from my institute (SeqAn) that wishes to participate in GSoC.

Uli

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.