Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/18 13:06:09 UTC

Website updated with the latest versions

Dear community,
The website (https://bookkeeper.apache.org/) is now updated with the latest
releases (the latest website update was on May '21).

I'd like to discuss a couple of points:
1) The new Docusaurus website is live at
https://bookkeeper.staged.apache.org/. My plan would be to replace the
current as soon as possible. I haven't received feedback yet. I'd like to
set a deadline (two weeks?) and then deploy the new one. (thanks to GH
history we can easily rollback in case of issues)

2) Currently, Javadoc files are missing for the latest versions. In order
to improve maintainability, I propose to remove the javadoc from the
website files and use an external service such as javadoc.io. IIUC we just
need to push the JAR with the javadoc to Maven central. Then we have to
update links from the website. We could recover the missing javadoc
manually.

Let me know what you think

BR,
Nicolò Boschi

Re: Website updated with the latest versions

Posted by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andrey for looking

I will send a fix for the images

javadoc.io syncs everything found on Maven Central so it keeps every
release.

For snapshot javadoc we have 2 options:
1) At the moment the deploy process executes the javadoc command before
committing to the website branch. So it would mean to keep the javadoc
generated site inside the website folder.
2) Drop the javadoc for the snapshot

I think that we can go with the second one without problems.

For the already released version we have to recover them somehow. My
suggestion would be that a committer locally generates javadoc for the
released versions and pushes it directly to asf-staging branch and,
starting from 4.15, switch to javadoc.io solution. I can make a pull for
that but it's like 1M of lines :)

Another thing: at the moment there's an "archives" folder deployed inside
the website. We'll have to keep it when we do the website switch.

Nicolò Boschi

Posted by Andrey Yegorov <an...@datastax.com>.

--
Andrey Yegorov