Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Rieger <ri...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/01 23:07:58 UTC

svn relocate/move (repo not wc)

am running outta space and need to move the repo,

svn switch --relocate file:////usr/svn-etc  file:///var/svn/etc

svn: The repository at 'file:///var/svn/etc/etc' has uuid '974675a8-
c30b-0410-8a05-83431ef311a2', but the WC has '4b58393f-330b-0410-bebe-
a89525468735'

so whats the proper way to move a repo that will not touch the wc.

--
Steve Rieger
riegersteve@gmail.com

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a
man who had no feet.

Biker Blue

Re: svn relocate/move (repo not wc)

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
Steve Rieger wrote:

>am running outta space and need to move the repo,
>

>svn switch --relocate file:////usr/svn-etc  file:///var/svn/etc
>

>svn: The repository at 'file:///var/svn/etc/etc' has uuid '974675a8-
>c30b-0410-8a05-83431ef311a2', but the WC has '4b58393f-330b-0410-bebe-
>a89525468735'
>
>so whats the proper way to move a repo that will not touch the wc.

svnadmin dump repo1 >repo1.dump
svnadmin create repo2
svnadmin load repo2 <repo1.dump

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: svn relocate/move (repo not wc)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 2, 2006, at 00:32, Garrett Rooney wrote:

>>> You need to make sure the version of the repos in the new
>>> location is
>>> IDENTICAL to the old one, including the UUID.  If you are doing the
>>> move via a dump/load, that means using the --force-uuid flag to
>>> svnadmin load when loading into your new (empty) repository on
>>> the new
>>> machine.  If you're loading your data into an existing repository
>>> (which by definition has a different UUID) you CANNOT migrate
>>> working
>>> copies via switch --relocate, it simply will not work.
>>
>> I've done several repository moves recently from one server to
>> another
>> server where all I did was "svnadmin load newrepos
>> <oldrepos.dump".  The
>> users then simply selected TortoiseSVN>Relocate, entered the new
>> URL and
>> all worked happily.  So why did it not fall over for me without
>> forcing
>> the UUID on the new repository?
>
> Ahh, now that I look at the code, the UUID record in the dumpfile will
> be used even without a --force-uuid flag, if the repository is empty
> when you start the load.  If it already has content you have to force
> it, although if that's the case doing so is probably a bad thing,
> since now the rev numbers will be out of sync, so your new repository
> will claim to be the same as the old one (by having hte same UUID),
> but will in actuality be different, most likely breaking all sorts of
> stuff.

No need to look into the source code to discover that.

$ svnadmin help load
load: usage: svnadmin load REPOS_PATH

Read a 'dumpfile'-formatted stream from stdin, committing
new revisions into the repository's filesystem.  If the repository
was previously empty, its UUID will, by default, be changed to the
one specified in the stream.  Progress feedback is sent to stdout.

Re: svn relocate/move (repo not wc)

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 2/1/06, Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com> wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
> >On 2/1/06, Steve Rieger <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>am running outta space and need to move the repo,
> >>

> >>svn switch --relocate file:////usr/svn-etc  file:///var/svn/etc
> >>

> >>svn: The repository at 'file:///var/svn/etc/etc' has uuid '974675a8-
> >>c30b-0410-8a05-83431ef311a2', but the WC has '4b58393f-330b-0410-bebe-
> >>a89525468735'
> >>
> >>so whats the proper way to move a repo that will not touch the wc.
> >>

> >You need to make sure the version of the repos in the new location is
> >IDENTICAL to the old one, including the UUID.  If you are doing the
> >move via a dump/load, that means using the --force-uuid flag to
> >svnadmin load when loading into your new (empty) repository on the new
> >machine.  If you're loading your data into an existing repository
> >(which by definition has a different UUID) you CANNOT migrate working
> >copies via switch --relocate, it simply will not work.
> >

> I've done several repository moves recently from one server to another
> server where all I did was "svnadmin load newrepos <oldrepos.dump".  The
> users then simply selected TortoiseSVN>Relocate, entered the new URL and
> all worked happily.  So why did it not fall over for me without forcing
> the UUID on the new repository?

Ahh, now that I look at the code, the UUID record in the dumpfile will
be used even without a --force-uuid flag, if the repository is empty
when you start the load.  If it already has content you have to force
it, although if that's the case doing so is probably a bad thing,
since now the rev numbers will be out of sync, so your new repository
will claim to be the same as the old one (by having hte same UUID),
but will in actuality be different, most likely breaking all sorts of
stuff.

-garrett

Re: svn relocate/move (repo not wc)

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Alan McDonald <al...@meta.com.au>.
I have done this by copying the uuid over. dunno if there's another (better)
way but it worked for me
Alan