Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Jason Venner <ja...@attributor.com> on 2008/03/07 00:53:08 UTC

Request for Hadoop metrics and making emitRecords public

We have operations that need to force the metric records out at a
specific point in time. We want to emit the complete task counter
records after JobClient.runJob, and the jvm has a limited life after
that point, and our metrics records are not being emitted.

Currently the emitRecords call is only made from within the timeout
handler, and is private.

What do people thing of opening up the interface to allow applications
to force an output.

I originally would have added a flush method, but the way that is used
is not relevant to this problem. flush expects emitRecords to have been
called and flushes the emitted data to the destination.

hadoop-0.16.0/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/metrics/spi/AbstractMetricsContext.java

--
Jason Venner
Attributor - Publish with Confidence <http://www.attributor.com/>