Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Suresh Akula <so...@hotmail.com> on 2004/09/21 15:01:43 UTC

Re: Unable to start tomcat server

It was a typo and CATALINA_HOME is actually set to C:\Tomcat.
I actually installed tomcat onto folder named
C:\softwares\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27 In this folder i have all bin,
common and other folders.
But while i am setting class path it is taking lot of place so i moved all
the folders from above folder structure and into C:\Tomcat and i think that
should be OK.
For more information i am using windows XP professional OS.
Thanks a lot for reply but i am still unable to start the server.Any help is
highly appreciated.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
Suresh Akula wrote:

>> > CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME and also included all the jars available in
>> > C:\Tomcat\Common\lib folder in the classpath. But when i go to command
>> > prompt C:\Tomcat\bin and execute startup.bat a black window comes up
>> and
>> > disappears but my server never starts.On the command window where i
>> > executed
>> > startup there appears 4 lines as follows
>> > Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Tomca
>> > Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Tomca
>> > Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Tomca
>> > Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\Java
>> > but am not able to start the server

No, it's started, it just ended prematurely. :-)

So it appears that the JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME are probably set
properly; what you need to do is use `.\bin\catalina.bat run` in a
command (cmd.exe) window to start the server so that that window
doesn't disappear on exit along with the error messages that will
*tell you what's wrong*.

HTH,

                           dream.  code.

Re: Unable to start tomcat server

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
> > Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\Java..

What is the name of your java installation?

Posted by John Najarian <j-...@earthlink.net>.
Great point Cary, I overlooked & forgot that.
Because we run separate servers for all our different apps we don't use that
functionality.

Posted by Cary Conover <tc...@yahoo.com>.
Brian,

wrote:
> [...]