Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ihsiak <ih...@o2.pl> on 2004/07/06 19:35:15 UTC

National characters broke subversion?

Hello
 I run into a problem recently... We have our svn repositories
installed on debian machine (using svn 1.0.3 r9775, apache module),
clients are windowsXP (using tortoiseSvn). There are many files in the
repository, which names consists national characters. When I try to do
checkout or at least 'svnlook tree' on debian I get error  "svn: can't
recode string" and operation terminates before completoition... (so I
am unable to do nightly tarballs)
 is this bug/feature or am I missing some config options?
Bartosz

Re: National characters broke subversion?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 14:35, Ihsiak wrote:
> Hello
>  I run into a problem recently... We have our svn repositories
> installed on debian machine (using svn 1.0.3 r9775, apache module),
> clients are windowsXP (using tortoiseSvn). There are many files in the
> repository, which names consists national characters. When I try to do
> checkout or at least 'svnlook tree' on debian I get error  "svn: can't
> recode string" and operation terminates before completoition... (so I
> am unable to do nightly tarballs)

It means your client's locale doesn't know how to convert the UTF8
filename in the repository into something readable.  Set your locale
correctly.