Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adolfo Miguelez <pe...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/16 15:31:32 UTC

the context

Hi All,

we are are developing a framework based on Struts, and adapting Struts to a
propietary middleware which, in turns, as usually, deals with the backends.
Struts would make up the presentation layer, more or less, delegating in
other layers for the business stuff.

It has been suggested a patter model, which I did not know before, and,
approximately, it is based in a XML which holds all the application data in
a tree structure grouped by functional roles. In that way, the data is not
spread all around the app, but it is wrapped in this functional abstraction.
It could be seen as a central structure for holding all the model (and i.e.
the state) of the app. It is termed THE CONTEXT!!!!

Actions fills the context, and send it to the middleware, which, in turns,
sends it to business layer. It has empty fields for the data that has not
been obtained yet (actually all the app data is wrapped inside the context).
Business layer fills the new data into the context, and the whole context is
sent back to the action which, in turns, extract the output data from it to
fill the value objects and send this to the JSP for rendering.

Well, we are having actually, quite a lot of problems in integrating  this
new element with Struts, with the ActionForms, with the validator.....

It is actually as a huge value object holding all the data of the app,
travelling forwards and backwards along the app layers.

My questions are:
- has any of you seen a similar pattern? Any pointer is welcome. I do not
identify anything in the GoF patterns, but maybe I am not realising of some
of them.
- what is your opinion about it?
- could Struts, in future releases, include a context for wrapping the data
model for the app?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the philosophical question,

Adolfo

Re: the context

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Sounds like Deep Thought you're dealing with there. Similarly to
Magicthighs and Broomfondle, you have unfortunately not defined your
question enough and the answer would take 7.5 million years to formulate.