Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/01 19:55:18 UTC

Re: [activecluster-user] ActiveCluster move to ActiveMQ

On 1 Mar 2006, at 18:16, ben.kibler@jpmorgan.com wrote:
> Unfortunately, activecluster-4.0-M4 is dependent on activemq-core,
> so it
> can't be used easily with another JMS provider.

Depending on classes inside activemq-core.jar != not working with
another JMS provider :)

> The DefaultClusterFactory class depends on
> org.apache.activemq.util.IdGenerator.  That seems like a simple
> dependency
> to remove (maybe use Jakarta Commons Id package?).

Maybe we should just copy that one class across.

> Not so obvious is an issue where the DestinationMarshaller
> interface is
> required to create a Destination from a String.  Creating a
> destination for
> most JMS vendors requires access to the Session object (e.g.
> Session.createTopic(String name)), which is encapsulated in the
> DefaultClusterFactory class.  How would I create a destination in
> my own
> marshaller implementation, with no access to the Session object?  The
> DefaultDestinationMarshaller implementation creates a new
> ActiveMQTopic
> object, which obviously only works in ActiveMQ....

We could just use a dummy Destination object for now that gets
serialised?

> So, if I tweak the DefaultClusterFactory class, changing the protected
> createCluster method to public, then I can easily write my own
> DestinationMarshaller, and the code is truly independent of ActiveMQ.
>
> Is anyone else interested in using ActiveCluster with a JMS
> provider other
> than ActiveMQ?

Sure - supporting any JMS is a good thing.

> Any plans to make ActiveCluster a top-level Geronimo
> project, and not just a subcomponent of ActiveMQ?

We'll see what happens with Geronimo / WADI / ActiveMQ. It might make
sense as a module in Geronimo or in ActiveMQ. Am not sure if its big
enough to be a top level project

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/